Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dti
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi Service Measures

I am creating a report in Power BI desktop and using various measures. All measures work appropriately on desktop. An example of one of the measures is shown below. It is a direct query to SQL server.

Gross Sales = Calculate(SUM(vwNominalAnalysis[Total]),vwNominalAnalysis[NominalCode]="4000-04")

However, when I publish to the Power BI service, none of the measures work. I receive the error "This feature is not supported. Please make sure you have installed the latest version of the gateway." I have uninstalled and reinstalled the gateway several times with no luck.

The interesting thing is that when I create a report online using the dataset in the Power BI service, the measures work properly. 

I have tried endlessly to fix this issue, with no success. It seems as if when I apply any filter of type text in BI Desktop, it is causing an error in the Power BI service. A detailed example of the error is below.

Error Example.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was formatting a column in Direct Query as a decimal number. When I used this column in a slicer, it would cause my measures to stop working in the Power BI Service. Once I changed the column to type 'any', the measures worked. So yes, the problem was solved by changing the column type to 'any' from decimal number.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What version of SQL Server?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

2014 Express

dti
Frequent Visitor

I have narrowed it down further - I am using a slicer in my report. When I remove that slicer, all the measures work with no problems. Using direct query can you not use a slicer in parallell with measures?

dti
Frequent Visitor

Another update:

I have discovered that any time I filter, whether that is using a slicer or by any other visualization, the error is created in the Power BI service. Everything works fine in the Power BI desktop. I am wondering if it has something to do with the gateway and its interaction with SQL Server 2014 Express.

@dti

I just test with latest PBI Desktop and get data from SQL Server 2016 in DirectQuery mode. The measure works well after I publish to PBI Service. I also have put text slicer in my report. It seems not to be related to SQL but related to gateway. Could you please check the on premise gateway status is good as below?

BTW, I’ve saw similar problem in other posts, and the problem is resolved by manually cleaning the registry of all PBI references after an uninstall, and then reinstalled the gateway. You can also have a try.

Power Bi Service Measures_1.jpgPower Bi Service Measures_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

I was formatting a column in Direct Query as a decimal number. When I used this column in a slicer, it would cause my measures to stop working in the Power BI Service. Once I changed the column to type 'any', the measures worked. So yes, the problem was solved by changing the column type to 'any' from decimal number.

@dti

It is good news that you’ve got it resolved. But it’s really strange, I also tried to add a decimal number column in my database and used it in a slicer. My measure is still working in the Power BI Service.

Power Bi Service Measures_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hi,

My problem is somewhat similar but not enough that I could solve it same way. I added a measure which works in a KPI on desktop but not in cloud because it doesn't sync to the dataset. Measure is defined as:

Active Companies = COUNTAX('Company', 'Company'[is_active] = TRUE())

The error text is:

Fields that need to be fixed

Something's wrong with one or more fields: (Company) Active Companies
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity IDe83e5d04-9dfc-5bc0-52be-f69d33fe30da
TimeSat Dec 17 2016 21:09:33 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Correlation ID94d5f48a-4013-994e-e78c-61e1d7cbcd41
Version13.0.1700.811

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors