Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CROforce
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI - very SLOOOW

I have connected Excel file to Power BI Desktop. Excel file itself has about 10 tables and I am using formulas to get what I need in regards to calculations and stuff. My excel file is 10MB large. In Power BI Desktop, everything runs fine but once I publish report to Online version, Report and Dashboard are very slow. I have only 4 pages and about 15 charts total. It is slow to the point that it's worthless. It takes 10min (yes, I have used stop watch) to load the data before you can drill-down and filter your charts. Does anyone have any clue what’s going on?

I am using latest version of Power BI Desktop Version: 2.38.4491.282 64-bit (August, 2016)

8 REPLIES 8
timau
Frequent Visitor

(Update - Nothing to do with DB Authentication.. I have added a new server to the reports; all servers having the same data structure and then merged into one table.. Some of the tables i'm importing are empty and also linked to other tables that are empty {before being merged into large table} I'm now 99% sure it's gagging on the empty tables - the timeout didnt help)

I have had a largish PowerBi model thats been working great for 12 months as I continue to develop it.

Previously i was accessing the SQL via DB Authentiation, some other staff wanted access to it so I altered the database access to AD/Windows authentication (created a group added people and all 'looked' OK after some testing)

Then things started timing out and generally weird REALLY slow behaviour as described above. 

If i refresh a table which is a consolidated table from 19 servers into one - it sits there for around 10  mins "Creating a connection in model" - then loads sucsessfully fast once that message goes away)

Even the local CALENDAR table generated locally now does this if I select just this one Table and refresh.

Is anyone else using Windows Authentication to connect to SQL server DB for Import data sources without problems?

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi all,

PG team are working on this issue currently. Please see this latest information:

large.png

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Regards

jickes
Helper I
Helper I

Same issue here. I haven't made any changes in a month to my dataset or reports, but the last few days the service has been pretty much unusable it's so slow. 

djohnson
Advocate I
Advocate I

Same here. It is painfully SLOOOOOW. I am trying to import a small amount of data from about 100 excel files and this has been a colossal waste of my time... 

Can someone explain what is happening in the backend? When I apply changes, it sits on "Creating connection in model" for an absurdly long piece of time.. Due to the low CPU and Memory use, I am wondering if it is spending all its time waiting for an external process?

PLEASE HELP..

Power BI has been down today longer than it has been up! This is making me sad 😞

I have been having these issues too 

I do find republishing the report and replacing the data set using the client can help. 

I find this tactic will help get rid of the internal service errors on refresh as well.

The Service ran way better back in Q1, they have really started to ruin it over the last few months.

dsutt519
Advocate II
Advocate II

@CROforce - thanks for your post. I have been having similar issues. I hope this gets fixed soon!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar issue - reports work fine sometimes but then the same reports freeze for no reason (the black circles on the visuals just spin and spin and never stop). Other times the same reports open and are ready to use only to be frozen with the continually spinning black visual circles when opening the same reports at a different time. It is very inconsistent and not a good situation when it keeps happening to executive management....I hope they improve online power BI very soon.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors