Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

j_w
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI gateway is online in page "Manage gateways" but offline in page "SCHEDULE REFRESH"

Gateway online.pngGateway offline.png

What are the possible reasons for this?

How to fix it?

Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @j_w

What I would think is that at times there might be small bugs and fixes in the software.

So when you update to the latest versions for Power BI Desktop and the On-Premise Gateway, those small issues and bugs are resolved. Which it appears to be the case here.

Glad that it is now all working.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @j_w,

I test on my side, gateway works well on my side. Can you share something detailed?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @GilbertQ @v-shex-msft @kcantor

Thanks for all your replies.

The Power BI refresh schedule worked fine on Saturday but failed on Sunday.

There should be no man works on the weekend at our company.

I noticed the database server's IP is not set to 192.168.*.* but to its real public IP, and maybe there is something to do with this issue. I have to wait until tomorrow to check with the network colleague who will be back then though.

I will post new findings on this issue in the future.

Thank you.

Hi @GilbertQ @kcantor @v-shex-msft

Reboot server + Update of Power BI Desktop to latest version has fixed the issue.

But still have no idea why 🙂

Thanks

Hi @j_w

What I would think is that at times there might be small bugs and fixes in the software.

So when you update to the latest versions for Power BI Desktop and the On-Premise Gateway, those small issues and bugs are resolved. Which it appears to be the case here.

Glad that it is now all working.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @j_w

Could I ask if you have got the latest Power BI On-Premise gateway installed?

There are now additional options to ensure that the On-Premise gateway can successfully communicate with Power BI.

Power BI Gateway Update - March

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ 

The gateway was an old version one. Now I have reinstalled it using the latest March version but it still has the same issue.

Maybe need restart the server? (But this has to be done after business hours for me.)

Thanks

Hi @j_w

Glad to see you installed the latest version.

If the Gateway is showing as successfully creating the data source, can you confirm what Data Source you are using?

Because it could be that there is a mismatch between the Data Source name and the server name in your Power BI desktop file, which is causing it to show as offline?

Power BI Blog

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@j_wand @GilbertQ

I have dealt with this as an intermitent problem for the last two months. I have filed multiple tickets with support and we have yet to define a true reason.

I, personally, suspect that the problem lies in the fact that I sometimes switch networks. That is the only commonality in my instances.  As a result of that theory, I am working to move my gateway to the server so that it is always connected to the same network.

Hi @kcantor

I would have thought that switching between networks would have had no effect. But it appears that there might possibly be some issues.

I have been using the On-Premise gateway for over a year on a dedicated server in the same network and never had any issues. So I would suggest that doing it in this manner is the best way forward.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors