Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI app and RLS Security

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with the new Power BI apps to distribute content. I created a security role in PBI Desktop, which users the Azure USERNAME() to apply security for sales people. When I add a specific sales person or the sale group to the security role on the dataset in Power BI service, I can then publish my app and see the security applied. All is well here; however, I would like this invidiual to be able to Edit the report and Pin tiles to create their own dashboard, while still only seeing the records related to their security role/sales performance. It seems I cannot achieve both of these. Either they can edit the report and see everything, or they can only see their data with no edit access whatsoever.

Any ideas here? Should I revert to using content packs instead?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

In a Power BI app workspace, RLS role will be only applied to the read-only members. See: Using RLS with Groups in Power BI. After we publish the app, end users get that app, RLS will also applied when users view app. But end users are not able to edit apps content, they only have view permission.

For your requirement, you can submit a idea here about the same function "Make a copy" as in content pack.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there, what if you had to make them a Member of the App Workspace?

I have created an App Workspace where the people can still only see their applied data from RLS.

Another option is to let the individual connect directly to the data model in the Power BI Service as you could do with the recent update in Power BI Desktop?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, they are members in the App workspace, with Edit privileges. However, when RLS is applied, they cannot edit the report at all, and therefore they cannot even pin tiles to the dashboard. I know this feature is still in preview, so maybe it's a bug?

Using the content pack approach, it applies RLS and at least it allows them to "make copies" of the dashboard and reports and then edit their local copies as they see fit. 

In this scenario, we prefer not to have the sales people download and use PBI Desktop. 

Hi there

In the App Workspace settings are the members able to view or edit?

I inclined to think that the setting is set to Read Only for Members.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you referring to this:

Capture.PNGI don't see any other setting related to edit/view.

Hi @Anonymous

I just tried this on my tenant and it worked where a person was able to edit and create a dashboard and pin it from a report.

I had the user as your settings below as well as being part of the app.

The only thing i can think of is your user a Free or Pro user?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

All users are Pro users. In your scenario, are you also using RLS? I added the user to the security role on the dataset before I published the dataset in the app.

Hi @Anonymous

You are indeed correct when I put the users into the App Workspace they could see all the data.

I do know from previously working with RLS, is that the person who uploads the Power BI Desktop file will always be the Admin and be able to see all the data.

I am wondering if the same thing is possible with regards to when a Member is added into an App Workspace if they are considered an Admin of the Dataset model. Which it appears to be happening in this instance.

Hopefully this is something that they can resolve going foward.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right. I am going to instruct clients to use content packs until this is resolved. I'll play some more to see if I'm missing anything else. Let me know if you discover anything different.

Honestly I totally forgot about the RLS. I will try it out in a while and let you know as I do have a user that has got RLS applied to an App.

Power BI Blog

Hi there

Yes I would imagine that the members would be able to edit the content, but as per your previous message it does not to do that.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors