Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dsoeker

Power BI Web - SQL Table Row Limit?

I'm doing some testing with getting the refresh function to work in the web app. I have 3 dashboards each connecting to SQL server tables:

Dashboard 1 - Data table has 27 million rows (550mb file)

Dashboard 2 - Data table has 1.5 million rows (43mb file)

Dashboard 3 - Data table has 600k rows (25mb file)

Dashboards 1 & 2 refresh just fine in the desktop client, but will not in the web app. Meanwhile, dashboard 3 updates just fine in desktop and web. That said, is there a limit to the number of rows in the SQL table that can be imported to the web app?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Seth_C_Bauer It turns out the gateway was not the issue. Everything, as far as the importing of data is concerned, is totally fine. I found that some of the filters my colleague created on the dashboard are failing, making this an entirely different issue. Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@dsoeker Are you using Direct Query? There is a 1 million row restriction. It will work if you aggregate that data, but not pull it straight. It sounds like this corresponds to your testing.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer When creating the dashboards in the desktop client, we've always set the 'Data Connectivity Mode' option to import - see below.

Data Connection.PNG

Are you saying there's a 1 million row limit regardless or just for Direct Query?

@dsoeker My understanding is that it should only be on the DQ side. There could be a timeout issue. Have you checked your gateway logs?

Here is the general troubleshooting guide, but there are links on the bottom related to which gateway you are using, you can dig into the logs to see if there are issues.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer It turns out the gateway was not the issue. Everything, as far as the importing of data is concerned, is totally fine. I found that some of the filters my colleague created on the dashboard are failing, making this an entirely different issue. Thanks for your help.

@Seth_C_Bauer the gateway logs don't have any errors in the event viewer. Is there another place I could look?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors