Visitor

Re: Power BI Report web part for SharePoint Online Discussion

Have to agree with most of the replies on this. The PowerBi Pro requirement is going to make this non-usable. I can understand requiring it to publish onto SharePoint, but for the generic user having to do it doesn't make sense. A user on a SharePoint page simply won't go through the rigamorale to register, they won't bother and the information won't be viewed. Please review this decision.

Frequent Visitor

I could certainly see that for some sort of public instance or something like that.  I'm assumeing that we'rd talking in an enterprise context(with SSO and auto-enrolled users) where the competition for an enterprise solution seems to be much more expensive.

Frequent Visitor

People seem to be having difficulty if they haven't ever signed into powerbi.com with their Office 365/org account.  After that, everything is gold (small E5 tenant here).  Is there any way to get around people having to go in and simply sign-in to PowerBI once?  Something that can be set from the admin side or is this a necessary evil?  Right now, if people haven't signed in, they don't even see the web part.... no error, etc.  

When it works..... it works well and is easy to setup.

Power BI Team

Thanks for reporting this. We'll definitely look into it. You might try assigning those users Power BI licenses ahead of time (or have you done this already) before they view the web page for the first time. 

Regular Visitor

This is great news.

Is it possible to pass filter values to the app?

Best regards

Jeppe

Power BI Team

The web part does not receive filters from other web parts at this point.  Would be a good thing to add to https://ideas.powerbi.com

Frequent Visitor

Microsoft is telling us EVERY USER on the tenant (not just those that need acces to the webpart ) must be on First Release because some new SSO feature has changed.  Is this true?  Please explain why?  This is our production tenant and we have over 20,000 users, so that's not an option.

When can we expect general release or for that requirement to change?

Adding to the conversation, the webparts needs an option for filters and parameters.  We would really like to see a URL query string parameter option.

Also, now that we are talking about SharePoint,  I understand Azure SQL databases can have a live PBI connection, Why no live connection to SPO Lists?

Frequent Visitor

@lukaszp -- everyone in our tenant is E5 so aren't those users technically PowerBI Pro users already, therefore, no need to assign licenses?

Power BI Team

@o365spo The web part is in preview and relies on APIs that are in First Release for the tenant. So we're just saying that if you'd like to start using the web part, you can.  I don't have any GA date guidance to share with you right now. The preview has recently started and we want to ensure a great experience before we declare a GA. We also need all of our dependencies to exit First Release. 

Your ideas about parameters/filter input and direct query for SharePoint Lists are good ones - could you ensure you share that on https://ideas.powerbi.com.

@clechner77 If you have E5, then your users have Power BI Pro licenses, no need to get anything else.

Frequent Visitor

@lukaszp -- right, we're set as far as licensing.  I was just passing along that we are an E5 tenant so you knew that our users not seeing anything in the web part unless they log in once to powerbi.com wasn't a licensing issue.