Frequent Visitor

Re: Power BI Report web part for SharePoint Online Discussion

[ Edited ]

Thanks for this, it all works as advertised for me, but I'm a little mystified as to the use case.

If everyone who accesses these shared reports requires a Power BI Pro licence, then what is the benefit of putting the report on Sharepoint ? The Power BI pro users can access through Groups, Content Packs or shared Dashboards. What extra does Sharepoint provide ?

Oh, one more thing, PowerBi service now has a "Preview Features" option, (in Settings). So why is this preview feature being shown on the main menu, why can't we turn it on (and more importantly OFF) with the "Preview Features" ?

Stuart

Power BI Team

@MichaelP unfortunately to ensure you don't need to sign-in to Power BI to view the report (SSO), we need some new APIs from the SharePoint team. So those APIs are what forces the web part to be First Release for Everyone. Once those APIs are in all of SharePoint Online, we can look into whether we can switch the preview for the web part to First Release for specific users.

Frequent Visitor

So we won't be in the testing. Unfortunate.

Also, as shared by others already, the need for Power BI Pro to view Power BI reports or Dashboards in SharePoint is not acceptable.

Hopefully this constraint will be re considered and removed very soon.

Such approach is "a killing in the egg" practice. At some points our effort to market your product, might stop short soon.

Frequent Visitor

This. 

I totally understand the need for Power BI Pro to create content, but it's ludicrous to expect a user community to have a Power BI Pro license just to view the content that was created. 

It will kill the ability for any large organization to adopt Power BI as a solution.

Power BI Team

@Burningsuit the use case is pretty straightforward - many organizations use SharePoint Online to manage team, build portals, etc. In many cases these teams or portals need to display data to help people be productive. People in those organizations know to go to those portals/pages to get the latest information. So now, Power BI reports can be embedded directly in those pages.  It'll make rolling out standard reports to 'everyone' who needs them easier. .

You mentioned Office 365 groups. Each group has it's own team site. Now you can not only put reports into group workspaces in Power BI, but you can also reflect those back into the group's team site pages as well.

Frequent Visitor

@lukaszp, the idea is great, i guess no one against it. The only question why all these people who potentially could see the reports (okay, their emloyer) shall pay 10 bucks/month per person or so for the possibility to see such reports.

Regular Visitor

I mean, what other options are there?  Any comparable solutions like Tableau or Qlik Sense have the same restriction and their prices are significantly higher than Power BI Pro is...  Qlik Sense asks $1,500 per user and then 23% of that per year!  Power BI Pro for all users is pennies compared to the competition.... if i'm wrong please feel free to enlighten me as i'd love a more cost effective solution, but at the moment in the market it seems PowerBI is by far the cheapest solution even if all users need Pro.

Frequent Visitor

It's the fact that even with an E3 agreement (which is already a lot of money), it's an additional $9.99/mo/user (retail price). Do the math on that real quick, and let me know the impact to a company with 7000 employees. How's that cost-effectiveness look now? Granted, not all 7000 employees need to consume Power BI reports, but even if you halve or even quarter that number, it's still a substantial amount of money.

The other option is to negotiate an E5 agreement, which includes Power BI Pro. Not sure of the delta dollars there.

I think that Power BI content management should be one tier, and consumption another. I'm trying to drive adoption of this product in my company, but those prices slam the door on that.

Frequent Visitor

@lukaszp so then if the use case is that SharePoint users can consume PowerBi reports without going into PowerBi. Why then charge them a PowerBi Pro licence fee for features that they may never use ?

Stuart

Regular Visitor

I'm not argueing that it's a lot of money, i'm argueing that comperable solutions are a more substantial investment by a significant margin (in my reserach / experience).  Have you looked at similar solutions and received pricing from them?