Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Re: Power BI Report web part for SharePoint Online Discussion

We have an on-prem SharePoint 2013 solution.  Is there any way to incorporate these types of web parts with an on premise install?

Occasional Visitor

The security issue of publishing a web link is a huge problem, this new Web Part appears to start to address the issue. By asking us to purchase the Pro client just moves the problem further down the chain. The new issues are budget and publishing control. I would ask Microsoft to consider allowing non-Pro clients view capability otherwise we will continue to need to look for a differnt solution.

Frequent Visitor

Agreed,  This is too limiting.

Frequent Visitor

Agreed.  This policy is too restrictive.   One Microsoft person told me when complaining before that eventually the embedding might be availble at a non-pro level for non-pro users, and then would only be blocked if the user was a non-pro usesr accessing a dashboard which used pro features.

Requiring this might be acceptable, but always requiring a Pro license, with the added per-user cost of a pro license, is too expensive.

Frequent Visitor

Consider this.  We're not trying to do anything different than if we put a link to the report.  The report would be a non-pro report, and users would see it displayed.  Saving ONE CLICK is not worth paying for a PowerBI pro license.  Surely you must see that?

Frequent Visitor

Us too.  $9.99 per user/ month to view a webpage and save one click is just too expensive.

Notice how i am trying to keep this professional, but you have to eee it from our standpoint.  Feedback about software can also be about pricing of software features.

this has been said before, I note is was marked as DECLINED.  We need a third tier of licensing that allow for viewers of content.  This may seem counter-intuititve, but a better price point will result in more usage and more revenue.   I suggest you guys user PowerBI to model the 3-tiered approach.

Frequent Visitor

I just don't understand where and why the thought of needing to have a pro license came into the picture for Microsoft.  Like has been said before, if someone actually has access to the report, what are we paying for?  The ability to consume the report through a different medium?  Is the issue here consumption and using the web part to surface reports potentially public (for the whole company public, not for public meaning for the world), thus increasing resources to host/process/display the data?

That's the only rationale I can come up with as to why they would require a pro license for VIEWING purposes.  Microsoft, help us understand here, that's all we are asking for.  Clearly this doesn't make sense to your clientbase as most people are scratching their heads at this point.

Frequent Visitor

I agree, my company have been looking in Power BI for several reporting functions, and I think yes Pro should be required for publishing, but for viewing? Making potentially everyone in the company forced to get Pro so they can view something? Stopped the project dead in it's tracks.