Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MikeMcCallum
Regular Visitor

Power BI Personal Gateway installing as an app rather than as a service

Hello all.

I am logged into our Azure Windows 2012 server as user whose is a member of the Administrator group.

I have tried installing the Power BI Personal Gateway service several times now but it always installs as an application rather than a service. I'm even chosing the "Run as Administrator" option when executing the install.

I don't think it has anything to do with my Power BI user account which is being asked for during the install.

Any ideas why this is happening? 

Cheers.

- Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dimazaid. Thanks for the quick response!

I have figured out my issue. Although the account I was using was part of the Administrator's group, I found that I needed to also grant it the right to logon as a service.

Once I did that (and after having uninstalled the gateway), the next time I installed the gateway it was installed as a service.

Now I can have the gateway working without needing to be logged into the machine.

Perhaps this would not have been an issue if I simply logged in to the server as Administrator. Not sure about that.

Hope this helps somebody else who comes across the same issue.

Cheers.

- Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

hi @MikeMcCallum

Your expectation is right, if you install as an admin it hsould be running as a service. 
Could you check the event viewer for any issues while installing? here's how: 

Open event viewer  

Expand “Applications and Services Logs”  

Click on “Data Management Gateway” and  "PowerBIGateway"  

Optionally, "Save All Events As…"  

As a workaround, have you considered trying the Enterprise Gateway? It runs as a service and only works as an admin, try installing it and see what you get.

Hi @dimazaid. Thanks for the quick response!

I have figured out my issue. Although the account I was using was part of the Administrator's group, I found that I needed to also grant it the right to logon as a service.

Once I did that (and after having uninstalled the gateway), the next time I installed the gateway it was installed as a service.

Now I can have the gateway working without needing to be logged into the machine.

Perhaps this would not have been an issue if I simply logged in to the server as Administrator. Not sure about that.

Hope this helps somebody else who comes across the same issue.

Cheers.

- Mike

great! glad to hear it got resolved. Please mark the question as answered. 

Thanks!
Dimah

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors