Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jimmymitra
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Office 365 or Azure

I was looking into the below link -

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-o365portal-retired

that says "Power BI for Office 365 is retired" 

Can someone explain what this mean ? 

I can still see Power BI is in the list of Office 365 services. 

Is Power BI now maintained in Azure , instead of office 365 ? And how this will have impact to the organizations ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jimmymitra "Power BI for Office 365" was still a subscription you could apply to users within O365. It hasn't done anything in a long time. This article just states it is gone. 

There was a v1 product for Power BI, which I reference above that this subscription was applicable for. If you don't even know what I'm referencing, you have nothing to worry about.

If you want to go digging for what this used to look like, look for articles that were posted in 2015.

Organizations have already had to apply Pro to users that need it.

Once again, if you don't know what I'm referring to with v1/v2 etc, you have nothing to worry about. This is just legacy clean up.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@jimmymitra "Power BI for Office 365" used to be the license/service that used the first version of PowerBI in SharePoint online. It has been defunct for quite some time, looks like this is just a statement of that. There is no change to what we currently use in the Power BI licensing that can be done in O365.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Sorry ,not clear with the response. If there is no change to how we currently use the Power BI in O365 , then what exactly is retired ? 

Is Power BI now in Azure ? How O365 is integrated with Azure ? 

Also what is the current version corresponding to the "retired" -Power BI for office 365. 

What will happen to Organizations who are using  "Power BI for office 365" license , do they need to transition to either Pro or Premium license ?

@jimmymitra "Power BI for Office 365" was still a subscription you could apply to users within O365. It hasn't done anything in a long time. This article just states it is gone. 

There was a v1 product for Power BI, which I reference above that this subscription was applicable for. If you don't even know what I'm referencing, you have nothing to worry about.

If you want to go digging for what this used to look like, look for articles that were posted in 2015.

Organizations have already had to apply Pro to users that need it.

Once again, if you don't know what I'm referring to with v1/v2 etc, you have nothing to worry about. This is just legacy clean up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors