Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

blindeye
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Live Service Connection - when will this be out of preview mode?

When Live Service Connection became available as a preview feature in April, it appeared to be exactly the solution our business needed - I could maintain one central dataset and build all my organization's reports from that.

For complicated reasons I am not able to directly access the SQL back-end of our database, so my data model relies on manually refreshing a number of Excel spreadsheets and refreshing the data connections to my main pbix file each day. A number of other reports then connect to that first dataset via the Live Service Connection, which allow me to create different section-specific reports and have them all refreshed when the first pbix file is.

Unfortunately it hasn't worked as expected - while I can personally see all the created reports, the problems occur when sharing with others.

Users are constantly (but unpredictably) faced with dashboard tiles that won't link through to the relevant reports, or warnings that the visualisation is no longer available when live pages are pinned. There's no consistent solution for giving people access, it's a trial-and-error combination of un-sharing and re-sharing dashboards, un-pinning and re-pinning tiles and it's causing massive frustration throughout the company. I've seen (and brought attention to) this situation happening with other users, but there's never really been a satisfactory answer given.

Many users' pro trials are going to expire at the end of July and unless this solution can be fixed, I can't see that the board is going to approve paid licences if this situation stays the same, so I'd really like to know if there's a planned date when this function will be fully supported, as it is really is a deal-breaker for us. Alternatively if someone can suggest another workaround where I don't have to replicate the same database and refresh 30+ pbix files on a daily basis, that would also be welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @blindeye,

I just verified that the issue should be fixed now. However, to apply the fix for the user who has this issue originally(shared before the fix), we may need to firstly stop sharing the dashboard with him, then reshare the dashboard with him. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Thanks - it looks like content packs are the way to go for now, I tried creating an app workspace first, but it doesn't appear to allow the upload of pbix files based on a live service connection dataset, even if the file containing the original dataset is included in the same workspace. With a content pack I can add the reports directly (which cuts out the mostly unnecessary dashboard layer) and my test subject has been able to access them so far.

(happy gif removed)

Hi @blindeye@jgutierrez,

I just verified that the Product Team are still working on this issue. I will post back once the fix is checked in. Smiley Happy

Regards

Same issue for me. Hopefully this is fixed soon, since it is key to enable proper self-service BI 

Encouraging news, many thanks for your help so far.

@blindeye If you are using SQL, is it possible to install a SSAS Tabular instance? The only thing you would need to figure out is the Visual Studio and Deployment process, the modeling and everything you've done would just work.

A better option (fastest) would be to spin up a Azure Analysis Services Tabular instance. One model to support all your reports.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not using SQL. Basically, the only way I can access the data I need is by running reports from our CRM and financial systems, while I don't have any proficiency in SQL server, even if I did it's been made clear that I wouldn't be able to get Power BI to directly access the back-end database.

I know very little about Azure also, but presumably you're suggesting I could migrate my current PBI dataset into Azure and then use the Azure connection as the datasource? That would add significantly to the cost of our project looking at the costs for an Azure subscription, we're an SME who are already concerned about the recent PBI licencing changes. I'm guessing you don't see the Live Service Connection becoming fully supported any time soon...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors