Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vanessa
Post Patron
Post Patron

Power BI Embedded with RLS using Direct Query to Azure SQL DW

Hi,

I embedded a report into a web application using direct query to Azure SQL DW and all the visuals show up just as required.

But when I add RLS to the PowerBI desktop file and embed the report into the app, it says "Couldn't load the data for this visual"

Do I need to make any change in the EmbedSample code? (I am using the code that Microsoft has provided on github)

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vanessa,

Yes, for RLS to work, you’ll need to pass some additional context as part of your app token:

• username (optional) – Used with RLS this is a string that can be used to help identify the user when applying RLS rules. See Using Row Level Security with Power BI Embedded
  • roles – A string containing the roles to select when applying Row Level Security rules. If passing more than one role, they should be passed as a string array.

You create the token by using the CreateReportEmbedToken method. If the username property is present, you must also pass at least one value in roles.

For example, you could change the EmbedSample. DashboardController line 55 could be updated from

var embedToken = PowerBIToken.CreateReportEmbedToken(this.workspaceCollection, this.workspaceId, report.Id);

to

var embedToken = PowerBIToken.CreateReportEmbedToken(this.workspaceCollection, this.workspaceId, report.Id, "Andrew Ma", ["Manager"]);'

For more details about how to set up Row level security with Power BI Embedded, you can refer to this article.Smiley Happy

Regards

@v-ljerr-msft

I have already done that. RLS worked fine when the source used was SQL server table. But the visuals don't show up when the source is Azure SQL Data warehouse.

Hi, I'm struggeling qith the same problem. RLS with imported data was no problem. But now with DirectQuery I'm getting the same error. Did you find an solution?

Regards, Florian

@fwmetz

Yes. I had to update the connection string.. It worked fine after doing so.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors