Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

techvenom

Power BI Desktop to Power BI Online app live connection

Is there a way to make a live connection (or scheduled update) between those to apps, so when i make a change in desktop app it updates the online dashboard automaticlly? I can leave Power BI desktop to be always running (just minimized) if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @techvenom,

To make sure the work you’re doing in Power BI Desktop stays in sync with the Power BI service, I would suggest you to sync your local pbix file to OneDrive first, then import the file from OneDrive on Power BI service.  Because both Power BI and OneDrive are in the cloud, Power BI connects to your file on OneDrive about every hour. If any changes are found, your dataset, reports, and dashboards are automatically updated in Power BI.

For more details, you can refer to the following articles.Smiley Happy

Get data from Power BI Desktop files

Refresh a dataset stored on OneDrive or SharePoint Online

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@techvenom Are you talking about a report change or a data change?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer I will try to be more precise, i have some data that i'm using to create a few charts in PowerBI Desktop, so basically i need those charts that i made to be updated automatically(by scheduled update or live connection) to PowerBI Online when i make a change in PowerBI Desktop.

Hi @techvenom,

To make sure the work you’re doing in Power BI Desktop stays in sync with the Power BI service, I would suggest you to sync your local pbix file to OneDrive first, then import the file from OneDrive on Power BI service.  Because both Power BI and OneDrive are in the cloud, Power BI connects to your file on OneDrive about every hour. If any changes are found, your dataset, reports, and dashboards are automatically updated in Power BI.

For more details, you can refer to the following articles.Smiley Happy

Get data from Power BI Desktop files

Refresh a dataset stored on OneDrive or SharePoint Online

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors