Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jeremy_Rogers
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Desktop Dataset Multiple sources - Scheduled refresh

I have a PBIX file that has been developed against two SQL server databases.  These are on two different hosts.  The report refreshes fine on the desktop.  The PBIX is configured for data import (not direct query) of course because that's not acceptable for PBIX files with multiple sources still I believe.

I have created an on premises data gateway connection for both databases involved.

I have published and successfully scheduled refresh of datasets that use either of the two SQL server database connections I configured on the gateway, so I know it can successfully find those connections based on the host name and DB name match.  The gateway option is not grayed out.

When I attempt to publish the original file with two data sources, it publishes but there is no ability to schedule it on the enterprise gateway.  That option is grayed out.  Is this expected behavior and can someone help me out with a specific link to where it's documented that is or is not supported (multiple data sources within the same data set being scheduled to refresh via the gateway)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Jeremy_Rogers As you describe it, this should work. If both the SQL Server DB data sources are set up on the same gateway, and there are no other data sources, the report using both together shouldn't have any issues...

Are you positive the connections in the PBIX file match exactly to the datasource connections you've set up in the gateway?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Jeremy_Rogers As you describe it, this should work. If both the SQL Server DB data sources are set up on the same gateway, and there are no other data sources, the report using both together shouldn't have any issues...

Are you positive the connections in the PBIX file match exactly to the datasource connections you've set up in the gateway?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I found a connection to one of the data sources had been set up on two different gateways.  I removed the connection definition that wasn't on the same gateway and re-published, with no improved results.  So, yes, now both connections exist on the same gateway ONLY (previously one of the connections was defined on two gateways).

Is there a specific time multiple data source for the same data set refresh became available that you know of or has it been there for a very long time?

@Jeremy_Rogers Did you completely delete the dataset from the Service? Is that possible for you to do, or do you have dashboards built/shared on top of the dataset already?

Ok I had removed the connection from the gateway it shouldn't have been on, so they're both on the same gateway... but I neglected to notice that someone hadn't added me as a user who can publish content associated with the remaining connection.  Once I did that the schedule options for the on premises data gateway selection seem to be re-enabled. 

This is what happens when too many people get their fingers in things.  Copies of everything everywhere. 

I believe this is resolved... thanks so much for your assistance, I wouldn't have guessed the connections need to be on the same gateway.  This is going to be rather interesting for data gateways we want to put in regional data centers close to their data, yet potentially combine those data sources. 

Hi!

I have the same issue but I haven't been able to solve it. 
I can connect to each of the two datasources individually using a gateway, but as soon as I use both in one dataset then the gateway is disconnected. Both datasources use the same gateway btw.

@Jeremy_Rogers , can you explain me further on what you mean by that you "hadn't been added as a user who can publish content"? Im not sure what you mean by that but it may have to do with my issue.

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors