Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JasonDunbar
Resolver I
Resolver I

Power BI API Sandbox

Hi Folks,

last week I took a look at the new beta API endpoints, namely the ability to return an embed URL for tiles. Once I'd gotten my head around the Web App example provided by Microsoft, I decided I'd give a go of extending it myself.

Once I'd finished and had something I thought people could use, I shared it - http://blog.ctp.com/2015/10/09/microsoft-power-bi-api-tile-embed-sandbox/ (there's also a screenshot attached)

This is a tool, a test, a starting point - It's far from perfect, but a really good starting point. Currently it's done using ASP .Net and javascript, I intend to update soon to use only javascript.

Enjoy!

Whoops! Sorry, totally missed this response. I think I have to change my notifications...

The example shown can be embedded anywhere you like... Absolutely anywhere that knows how to render HTML and execute javascript. That's the beauty of it.

[edit] sorry, it uses ASP .Net too. But we're working on a pure HTML and Javascript approach, it is entirely possible.

In order for this to work at all, to view the different dashbaords and tiles, you're going to need to be signed in and authenticated against Azure AD as an authorised user of the Power BI tenant that is able to see those dashabords and those tiles. 

Microsoft are currently looking into ways of making this happen (see this idea https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi/suggestions/6872640-share-with-external-users-outsi...). But will that require a user to be logged into Power BI? We don't know yet.

My guess would be that the external user would need to at least be a Power BI licensed user (not pro) but then not able to see Tiles and Reports that were created by Power BI Pro licensed users. But don't quote me on that... Pure speculation.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Silko
Helper II
Helper II

Have you tried the new report embed us well? I have problems with it. If you can help me please respond here:
http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/report-embed-problem/m-p/11490

npnigro
Advocate III
Advocate III

Are you able to do embed a tile on a public site without requiring a user to have a power BI account?

Whoops! Sorry, totally missed this response. I think I have to change my notifications...

The example shown can be embedded anywhere you like... Absolutely anywhere that knows how to render HTML and execute javascript. That's the beauty of it.

[edit] sorry, it uses ASP .Net too. But we're working on a pure HTML and Javascript approach, it is entirely possible.

In order for this to work at all, to view the different dashbaords and tiles, you're going to need to be signed in and authenticated against Azure AD as an authorised user of the Power BI tenant that is able to see those dashabords and those tiles. 

Microsoft are currently looking into ways of making this happen (see this idea https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi/suggestions/6872640-share-with-external-users-outsi...). But will that require a user to be logged into Power BI? We don't know yet.

My guess would be that the external user would need to at least be a Power BI licensed user (not pro) but then not able to see Tiles and Reports that were created by Power BI Pro licensed users. But don't quote me on that... Pure speculation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors