Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Karel_Moijson
Frequent Visitor

Pin to Power BI Dashboard error

Hi, when I "Pin to Power BI Dashboard" a SSRS report, I got the response 'you don't have any dashboard, you need at least one dashboard that you have permission to pin to'.
However, I do have dashboards in Power BI, and my Power BI tenant is nicely integrated with SSRS. I tried a lot of different scenarios without success. Everything sits in the same domain.

Any ideas? Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Keith

I was using powerbi free and SQL Server 2016 evaluation.

I have now subscribed to the 60 trial of powerbi pro and suddenly I can pin ssrs items to my dashboards.

Seems there is either a bug or powerbi free isn't allowed to pin ssrs items to a dashboard.

Did you get to the bottom of this? I'm experiencing the same issue and haven't found a way to get around the error saying that I have no Dashboards for which i have permission to pin reports.

@gcairns are you using Power BI Pro? or Free. See Keith's last comment, the issue went away with a Pro license. I don't recall reading that requirement anywhere, but it wouldn't surprise me as in the GA you need SQL Enterprise, and since you need a Pro license to use SQL as a datasource, since SSRS is a component of SQL - you need a PBI Pro license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm getting the same error but I'm an admin on SSRS and the owner of multiple Power BI groups.

Also, I successfully congifured the Power BI integration and have SQL Server 2016 SP1 CU2.

What gives?

Ben

Keith

Hi, I am having the exact same issue.

Dashboards exist in powerbi and on the site.

SSRS server has been registered.

User has been registered.

Yet when pinning a report image or chart I keep getting a pop-up sayin that I need to have a dashboard that I can pin items too.

What could possibly be the solution ?

rnoone
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Karel - it may be that you haven't created a group in power bi. See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt604784.aspx

Apologies for coming on someone else's thread, but I've also been trying (and failing) to pin an SSRS visual to my Power BI dashboard, despite appparently successfully linking the two. It does seem that we need to specify a group to make this work, but Groups are only enabled in Power BI Pro.

Compare Microsoft's official instructions with this blog post about the feature using CTP3, and the requirement for a Group isn't there. Did Microsoft change this just prior to release? If so, they really need to make it clear that this is Pro only feature.

@PaulBambury@Keith Are either of you using "Pro"? I'm still running the evaluation copy of SQL 2016 in a test environment and have no issues pinning a report element to my Power BI Pro. I can pin the chart to my workspace or a group workspace.

Are you both still using Evaluation, or have you installed SQL 2016 Enterprise?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I've got a test enivronment running SQL Server 2016 RTM Developer Edition (so feature-wise the same as Enterprise) and the free Power BI; if I try to create a group in Power BI it offers a free trial of Pro or buy. The link posted by @rnoone shows a screen shot of the 'Pin to Power BI Dashboard' indicating that a group needs to be selected, but the blog post by Scott Murray I linked to over at mssqltips.com didn't require a group; but was using CTP3. Hence my suspicion something changed late in the day.

@PaulBambury From what I can see it's a naming issue. "Select a Group" even in the snapshot, includes the "My Workspace" - so there is no requirement that you have to select a "Power BI Group", you can use your own "Power BI Workspace".

Check out this page for all the supported requirements. I don't see "Pro" as a requirement, are you running on a managed tenant, and does your account meet all the requirements for when you configured the setup?

Also, what is the specific error you are getting?

So "My Workspace" counts as a group. OK, thanks for clearing that up

I'm getting the same message as @Karel_Moijson and @Keith: "You don't have any dashboards. You need at least one dashboard that you have permissions to pin to." But I definitely have some dashboards. I'm going to go through the requirements and double-check permissions with our server admin tomorrorw morning, so hopefully that'll identify the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors