Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chaz2jerry
Advocate III
Advocate III

Personal gateway installation failed "System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005)"

Have had the personal gateway and enterprise gateway (Dec version) working on my laptop in the past.  Until today when I downloaded the latest January update, the installation failed with following message:

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at Microsoft.DataProxy.EgwInstallBA.ProgressViewModel.ApplyComplete(Object sender, ApplyCompleteEventArgs e)

Uninstalled both personal gateway and enterprise gateway, closed related tasks, restarted computer, and still same error.  Does anyone have same issue?

Jerry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for trying to help, I will keep looking around.  Also hope others can jump in and share their experience with similar problem.

EDIT: Contacted Microsoft support and their suggestion is to temporarily remove antivirus as that might be cause of the issue.  I am working with our corporate IT to do this step and will report our findings.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

What I could suggest is to delete all the files and folders related to the On-Premise Data Gateway.

C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the idea.  I checked the file folders under Program Files and there isn't any folder for gateway purpose (personal or on-prem enterprise).  Any other idea?

Edit: I found the related folder here C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises data gateway (personal mode).  Removed the folder, tried installation again, and still same error.  

EDIT 2: I tried another scenario, installing the enterprise gateway first (success), then tried to install the personal gateway, and still failed with same error.

Hi there, just a quick question did you possibly download the 32bit version, instead of the 64bit version?

Power BI Blog

Hi guavaq, I don't see any option to choose the bit version for the download, so I assume it's 64bit.  Do you know of a way to check/change the bit version of the download file?

Hi there, I am not sure, I know there used to be an option but that has changed.

I know sometimes there is a switch when installing via the command line to log everything to a file. Just not sure what that command is. Possibly Google will be able to assist, which would give you further details.

Power BI Blog

Thanks for trying to help, I will keep looking around.  Also hope others can jump in and share their experience with similar problem.

EDIT: Contacted Microsoft support and their suggestion is to temporarily remove antivirus as that might be cause of the issue.  I am working with our corporate IT to do this step and will report our findings.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors