Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

polimoda
Regular Visitor

Periodic Data Refresh on PowerBI

I have Microsoft Dynamics online and a powerBI PRO subscription.

I have upgraded to PRO in order to try to have an automatic update of my data set (as also reported in 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-data/). 

Unfortunately the interface is completely different and powerbi seems to require a on-premise gateway (I'm using dynamics online and powerbi online, why an on premise gateway?)

In any case I have installed also the gateway (business and not personal version) but I do not know what shall I configure in order to have a working sync.

In the past (as I see in the cited article and also in a Microsoft book) there was no need for gateway and it was only needed to set-up the refresh interval, what shall I do now to obtain the same results?

It sound strange that for updating powerbi on cloud, using data on cloud, I have to use an on-premise gateway.

Maybe I missed something ...

5 REPLIES 5
aoberlander
Frequent Visitor

I am guessing that by Dynamics Online you are talking about D365. In that case you do not need a Gateway.

Check out this article https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn708055.aspx and scroll down to the section that says Use Power BI Desktop to connect directly to your Microsoft Dynamics 365 (online) instance.

Also at the very top of this article it specificall states "The Power BI for Office 365 cloud service works with Microsoft Dynamics 365 to provide a self-service analytics solution. Power BI automatically refreshes the Microsoft Dynamics 365 (online) data displayed."

with automatically being the most important word in that paragraph.

In the artiocle is reported:

"After you have signed in to Power BI, in the Datasets area click Get Data, under Services click Get, and then select from the following content packs."

Unfortunately no "get Data" is present under Datasets as far as I know

Hi @polimoda,

As far as I know, for Online data services, such as Dynamics 365, it is automatically refreshed for you, no gateway is needed.

In the artiocle is reported:

"After you have signed in to Power BI, in the Datasets area click Get Data, under Services click Get, and then select from the following content packs."

Unfortunately no "get Data" is present under Datasets as far as I know

The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online content packs for Power BI allows you to easily access and analyze your data. For more details about how to use this content pack, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy 

Regards

Errata ... the link worked by removing the trailing " and" ...

First of all Microsoft has not yet update my production environment to D365 as alredy done for the staging (in the next days also the production environment will be updated)

In any case, link you provided seems not available at the moment.

My problem is not with PowerBI Desktop.

My workflow is as follow:

- Define data model on powerbi desktop by connecting to the Dynamics on cloud resource: it works fine.

- Define report of powerbi desktop: it works fine

- Publish online from powerbi desktop: it works fine

- Create dashboard for user on powerbi PRO online: it works

- Automatically update data on data set and then on report and dashboard: no way to do that without gateway

regards,

fabrizio

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors