Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Organizational Content Pack - How does the end user get the latest version

As a report author, I've published an Organizational Content Pack using AS Tabular Connection, and now I've made updates to a report in the Content Pack (and Changed Dashboard - which prompts Content Pack Update).

As an end user, I've updated the original report provided in the Content Pack with my own visuals.

I log in again as an end user after the update, and see that there is a new version notification, but I'm not seeing how I get that new version?

I connected to the Content Pack again, but that just brings in the objects again, which is not what I want because I want my updates as well.

This behavior only happens when the end user has modified something. Otherwise the updates just automatically happen - which is really nice.

(edited for clarifiying the specific scenerio)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
4 REPLIES 4
meysun
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

If the consumer of the content pack has not personalized it, then they will automatically get the latest as and when the content pack publisher republishes it.

If the consumer has personalized it, then they will only get a notification. Their personalized old version will stay. They can then use Get Data -> My Organization and get a new version without affecting their personalized old version. Then ,they can decide to keep both or get rid of the old one after they manually moving their personalized changes to the new.

Hope this clarifies

Sorry if my question was confusing. I understand what it is doing. My point is, whether or not this is intended behavior. Because if it is, than I would suggest one of two things. Let the Content Pack owner make the content pack "not editable" in some cases, or allow the end user to merge/copy their changes into the new version.

My thought behind this is the fact that the end user may put in alot of work into the Content Pack, and then have to redo it all again because there is no way to move/copy elements from one report to another.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the suggestions.  Both suggestions (i) Move/Copy elements from one report to another and (2) marking org content pack as read both in our backlog. Please feel free to create the suggestions at https://support.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi and vote them up.As you might have noticed, we release features at quick iterations and all the top voted items in user voice are considered during our planning.

The organizational content packs are not as robust yet as they should be.  The end users cannot "Get" the latest version of the content pack, however, the content pack creator can go to View Content Pack option and then click on Edit->Update.

Sometimes Update is grayed out even though the content has changed, in this case you can make a simple change to the content pack description field which enables the Update button. Now if you click on the Update button, the users will see the new changes next time they consume content pack’s dashboards/reports/datasets.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors