Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kadingo
Helper II
Helper II

Options for accessing SSRS reports through Power BI interface (power BI service)

I have anumber of reports i have deployed to an SSRS report server in my intranet. The reports display data in a tables & a matrix with some other summay information in the report header and footer. The report data source is SQL Server 2014.

I now have a requirement to have these reports accessible through the Power BI service. When accessed through the power BI service, the data is expected to be up to date. 

Is the above requirement possible, is the kind of configuration currenlty supported.  If yes, would some one point me to the available options. 

If this isn't possible, would some one point me to ducumented evedince saying so such that i can bring it foward to management as official documentation. 

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

@kadingo As mentioned SQL 2016 is the first version that supported the connection of Power BI to SSRS. If all you are doing is tying your SSRS reports to the Service, this solution may work for you. It isn't a good one for Power BI Reports in SSRS though as the reports open in the Desktop for every end user. The full solution (PBI Reports on premises and links from SSRS to Power BI Service is found in the Power BI Report Server)

In any case, you cannot deploy SSRS reports by themselves to the Power BI Service. You CAN pin certain visualizations (Chart, gauge, etc) to a Power BI Dashboard. This means, that your SSRS report must contain an element that can be pinned to the PBI Dashboard in order for the end user to be taken to the report. Depending on what your needs are, this could be a solution, but to say that there are strong ties between SSRS and PBI Service right now would be mis-leading.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
bajee
Resolver III
Resolver III

@kadingo,

Can you please go through the below mentioned link to pin the SSRS reports to Power BI Service.

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4136/pinning-a-sql-server-reporting-services-report-to-power-...

Regards,

Bajee.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors