Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rbrownson
Regular Visitor

Online Published Report is Not Refreshing

Hi, 

I created a report on the Desktop version of PowerBI. I published it to the Web and gave the necessary people the link to view the data. 

At night we refresh the database and excel sheets (which are the data sources for the report), the desktop report updates but the published web report does not. Am I missing a setting for it to refresh? 

Also the online report (the one online where I can still edit things) also does not refresh, even after clicking "refresh". 

Thanks for your help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@rbrownson Sounds like you need to install a gateway. The gateway allows you to refresh the data in the service.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

@rbrownson

Since your database and excel sheets are hosted on-premise, you need to install a gateway to make Power BI cloud service find these on-premise data sources. Either On-premise or Personal Gateway can work for your scenario.

Regards,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@rbrownson Sounds like you need to install a gateway. The gateway allows you to refresh the data in the service.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Awesome thank you. 

Does everyone need to install that or just me?

@rbrownson There are two types. The personal (which will be just for you) and the On premises Data Gateway. Look into both of them as the OPD gateway is the one you want for pushing out organizational reports for sure.

The author (whoever published and set up the refresh) is the only one that needs a gateway. All the people recieving reports off that dataset don't need to install one for your reports to work.

Great! Thank you for your help! I believe I set it up correctly. 

@rbrownson

Since your database and excel sheets are hosted on-premise, you need to install a gateway to make Power BI cloud service find these on-premise data sources. Either On-premise or Personal Gateway can work for your scenario.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors