Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AbhayOberoi

On premises data gateway installation error

Hi All,

Hope someone can help. I'm new to the Power Bi service and trying to install on-premises data gateway. The instrallation starts but half way through it throws an error and says The gateway installation has failed. and give me the following error.

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service PBIEgwService on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not start due to a logon failure
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartService(Session session)

Not sure if anyone has faced this issue earlier.

10 REPLIES 10
Alain_Huynh
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I found a solution :

When you install the gateway, the gateway create a directory (PBIEgwService) in C:\users. The installation have to be allowed to write in that directory. You have to check the authorizations of this directory.

It works for me.

08/22/2017, I received this error because I modified the installation path of the gateway. Once I restarted the installation with default settings, it loaded just fine.

08/22/2017, I received this error because I modified the installation path of the gateway. Once I restarted the installation with default settings, it loaded just fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same error here! It's never installed corectly for me. This is the bigest failure for us and potential roll out of PBI to our clients. Please either fix this or make it an easier thing to resolve. The guide is confusing and the forum is full of non-solution 'solutions... 

All I want to be able to do is demo this as a full working solution to our Clients. Microsoft PBI team please address this glaring weakness in the applicaion suite...

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service PBIEgwService on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartServiceImpl(String serviceDisplayName, TimeSpan timeout)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartService(Session session)

I've installed the gateway on a VM of the Cloud Microsoft Azure but it doesn't works.

I tested to create a new VM (same configurations), I have installed the gateway and it works... 

Vipendra

I am getting the below error during On-premise data gateway installation

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service PBIEgwService on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

Please help !!

I have the same error. Installation always fails :

at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartServiceImpl(String serviceDisplayName, TimeSpan timeout)

Please help !

consorte101
Regular Visitor

I'm having the exact same issue. Opened up a case with Microsoft and they are unable to provide a solution. Did you end up figuring this one out? Thanks for the help!

I used the article outlined in the steps above, the issue was that the server group policy had removed "NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES" from the list of users allowed to Logon as a Service via controlled Group Policy. I had them update the Computer Policy and add back "NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES" to the list, I performed a "gpupdate /force" on the server and retried the installation; worked like a charm. Please read the article or perform the steps above and you should get past this error. 

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@AbhayOberoi As error suggests it seems installation is failing due to gateway service unable to start. I would suggest you start with this article and steps described to troubleshoot this issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors