Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DavidL
Frequent Visitor

On-Premises gateway (personal mode) & Anaysis Services 2008 R2

We have been using personal gateways to refresh report data from Analysis Services 2008r2 Cubes (Import)
Does this work with the "On-Premises gateway (personal mode)" that is replacing the Personal Gateway?

On testing our users are getting the message "Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again.Your data source can't be queried because the credentials are not provided. Please provide your credentials and try again."

When attempting to enter credentials, the  only Authentication method present is "WindowsWithoutImpersonation", regardless of the credentials enteres they get the message  "Failed to update data source credentials", status 400.

Thanks

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DavidL,

According to my test and the documents, I'm afraid it is true. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@DavidL there is only the personal and OPD gateway. I would make sure you have the latest personal gateway installed and see if the issue goes away. I remember seeing a mandatory update for the personal gateway recently because of breaking changes coming.

The confusion around the naming is most likely because there is only 1 download for the gateway now instead of 2 seperate ones. You choose personal in the install.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer

Thanks for the reply. To be clear, we have no issues  with the old Personal Gateway, but we cannot connect to SSAS Cubes using the new On-premises data gateway (personal mode).  The new On-Premises Data Gateway works for our SQL Server

Old "Personal Gateway", "will be retired and stop working after July 31, 2017"

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-personal-gateway/

New "On-premises data gateway (personal mode)" 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-personal-mode/

@DavidL Thanks for the link, I saw that there was an update to the personal gateway, but I must not have read close enough to pick up the "slight and simliar" name change.

At least the personal is getting some marketing confusion love now, it was probably feeling left out because the OPD looked like

Analysis Services Connector-> Enterprise Gateway -> On-Premises Data Gateway

Personal Gateway -> On-Premises Data Gateway (Personal)

🙂

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@DavidL

Hi David,

It seems that you were using Anaysis Services 2008 R2. But according to the official documents, the minimum version of SQL Server is 2012 SP1 CU4. Could you please use On-premise gateway (enterprise version) to do some troubleshooting?

• Servers must be running SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU4 or later versions of Analysis Services for the Power BI Desktop SSAS MD connector to work properly.

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-jiascu-msft Thanks for the response.

Your link talks about Power BI desktop, where we have never had problems.

The Enterprise gateway has never supported SSAS 2008 R2, which is why we are using the Personal Gateway, where is it supported (in import mode, not direct query)

I tried as you suggested, to connect using On-premise gateway (enterprise version) , as expected it does not work

"The gateway does not support the version of the specified data source. Please make sure to check the list of supported data sources, install the latest version of the gateway or upgrade your data source to a newer version"

It may be as simple as "Not supported" anymore , but I'll I'm disapponted that functionality  can be removed so quickly.

Hi @DavidL,

According to my test and the documents, I'm afraid it is true. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards!

Dale

I have almost the same problem, but backwards. When I install the gateway in personal mode I don't have any trouble accessing my analysis services cube. The problem is that personal mode runs as an application and I need refreshes to happen when I'm not sitting there logged into the machine. When I install the gateway in I guess it's called enterprise mode (?) or whatever not personal mode is... I get the credentials issue described above. It only allows windows without impersonation. That doesn't work because if I have to use Windows credentials then the credentials I need are for a different user on a different domain. I normally access this data through a SQL user, not a Windows account. I can do this through personal mode but not the other mode. What gives?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors