Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rsanjuan
Helper IV
Helper IV

On-Demand Refresh for Pro Users

This may be a very basic question, but I am not entirely sure.  I am the one that creates the reports on PowerBI Desktop and uploads it to PowerBI Service.  Then I share the dashboards to other PowerBI Pro users.  When I create the dashboards, I pin it as a live page so the users can interact with it.  How can the users refresh the report on-demand so it's up-to-date to the minute?

When they login, they only see the dashboard.  Am I the only one who can do a manual on-demand refresh since I have the report and dataset?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Generally when you pin a tile to a dashboard if the user clicks that tile they are transported to the report and can hit refresh from there if they have appropriate sharing rights.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rsanjuan

As @Greg_Deckler said that the tiles will refresh, as well as if you pin a page into a dashboard the users will also have to click on Refresh at the top in order for them to see the updated data.

What you could do is to setup an On-Premise Gateway and then if you want it to be up to the minute, use one of the sources (SQL Server, Oracle, SSAS Tabular) and use DirectQuery, which will enable them to get up to date data.

Another alternative if you cannot use DirectQuery is to configure the On-Premise Gateway to refresh once every hour during the 8 working hours of the day?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rsanjuan

As @Greg_Deckler said that the tiles will refresh, as well as if you pin a page into a dashboard the users will also have to click on Refresh at the top in order for them to see the updated data.

What you could do is to setup an On-Premise Gateway and then if you want it to be up to the minute, use one of the sources (SQL Server, Oracle, SSAS Tabular) and use DirectQuery, which will enable them to get up to date data.

Another alternative if you cannot use DirectQuery is to configure the On-Premise Gateway to refresh once every hour during the 8 working hours of the day?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Generally when you pin a tile to a dashboard if the user clicks that tile they are transported to the report and can hit refresh from there if they have appropriate sharing rights.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors