Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DavidKett
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Office 365 Subscription Levels and Collaborating with Power BI Workspaces

Hello, 

I was trying to follow along with this article ( https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-collaborate-with-your-power-bi-gro... ) on collaborating within Power BI Workspaces but noticed I do not see the same options as displayed in the instructions listed.

I only see the option for Files and not Members, Calendar, Conversations. Is this because I am on a lower level subscription of Office 365 or is there a tenant setting that I need to enable to allow these links to be displayed for our Workspaces? 

Thanks, 

David

5 REPLIES 5
DavidKett
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

After a lot of testing I have found out that based on your Office 365 subscription, you have different application functionality and menu items within Power BI. 

Because of this one of our customers cannot edit the Icon for a Power BI workspace or any other settings that are outlined in the Power BI documentation for changing workspace setting in Power BI inside of Office 365, found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-manage-your-group-in-power-bi-and-...

It is not fair of Microsoft to require someone to have another product license to perform basic changes to settings within Power BI when that person is a paying customer of Power BI and Office 365.  

Can someone at Microsoft please tell me why there is inaccurate and unsupported documentation on the official Power BI documentation webpage.  Additionally, what should I tell my client and Microsoft's customer in regards to how she should change the settings of her workspaces if she does not have an Office365 subscription that includes other specific Microsoft software applications?

For example, they have Office365 ProPlus with Power BI Pro and can not see the Members, Calendar, and Conversation links in the workspace navigation menu that is shown in screenshots on this page: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-manage-your-group-in-power-bi-and-... .

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @DavidKett

When you initially create a workspace you will not see the additional items, because they are busy being created in the background.

What I do is wait about 30mins or so and then click on the breadcrumb (...) and then it is often there.

Failing that if it is still not there, it might possibly be an Office 365 subscription level, but for my standard users they are able to create it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

It has been over 24 hours since I created the app work space. Still the only option I see is Files, Edit WorkSpace, Leave WorkSpace. Do you have to have a subscription of Office 365 that includes Microsoft Teams in order to see the Members, Calendar, and Conversations links? 

Hi @DavidKett

I think you are indeed correct then, that your Office 365 subscription does not include Outlook and SharePoint?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Ahh I think we have a winner. Sharepoint seems to be the common dominator in this puzzle. So by this logic, if you do not have Office 365 subscription that includes Sharepoint, you can not edit basic settings for Power BI Workspaces. This is a problem. I know the roadmap says they are going to seperate Workspaces in Power BI from Office365 Groups but it bad if paying Power BI customers cannot edit application settings beacuse Microsoft wants them to go buy another application first. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors