Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ascendbi
Advocate II
Advocate II

New Navigation Preview - Workbooks are not listed

Hi - In the New Navigation that will go GA in May, workbooks brought into Power BI with the OneDrive / Excel online experience are not appearing in the Workbooks in the New Navigation. 

Since this will move out of preview in May, we will experience loss of functionality if this is not resolved. 

Am I missing a setting or something? 

Workbooks Old Navigation.pngWorkbooks New Navigation.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We found the root cause of this issue and we are working on a fix. Thanks for reporting this!

Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
CMac
Frequent Visitor

Hi. I'm using a workbook held in my (personal) OneDrive account. My personal account has the same name/email as my business account (which only has an Outlook subscription). The workbook still shows under the Dataset section. Does it need to come from the business account to show as a workbook in PowerBI?

Hi @CMac,

You either 'Imported' or 'Connect'ed to your workbook... This will determine if it appears as a dataset or a wprkbook.  Note that one of the options requires the Workbook to have a Power Pivpt Data Model  

David 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @ascendbi

I now imported an Excel file from OneDrive as well as uploaded the file to both "My Workspace" as well as a Group Workspace with no issues.

Could it possibly be in your first image it was shared to you, so when you look under the new Navigation Experience you do not have access to a file that has been shared with you?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I tried it too and it works fine.

The issue is that the other workbook was shared with you (you can see the share symbol on the side).

Search in "Shared with me" and you will be able to find it.

Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.

Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for the replies. In my scenario, yes, the Workbook is an Excel Power Pivot file (that we are desparately waiting for the GA of the new Matrix visualization in order to replace with a pbix) that is shared via a Content Pack in a users (biadmin) "My Workspace" 

This content pack is then consumed via the Get Data Experience in the Group Workspace Inside Sales Team Group. With the new navigation, this shared workbook is not available while the user is in the Group Workspace Inside Sales Team Group.  As per Ajay's suggestions, when Shared with Me is selected, it takes the user back to their own My Workspace. and since the workbook is shared in OneDrive with the Group, the user does not see it. 

We don't want to make 20 copies of this file for each Workspace that consumes it, hence the reason we shared it via a Content Pack. (see screenshot below) And yes, the Group has permission to the file on OneDrive (which is why they are able to consume it in the Old Navigation experience) 

2017-04-20_22-25-16.png

Hi @ascendbi

Another option might be if rather you use the new Power BI Service Dataset?

If you do it in this manner you only have to author the Dataset Once, then publish it into a Group Workspace. Once that is done people can then connect to it from their own Power BI Desktop's and create the reports that they require and then publish as they require?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

Intersting suggestion.

However, It still means that the previous exprience of being able to view Excel Online Workbooks shared via a Content Pack is no longer true.

I am trying to confirm that we will have to redeploy because the current approach will no longer work in the New Navigation Experience. 

Hey @ascendbi

Can you email me at ajayan@microsoft.com...

Couple questions:

1. Do you see it in the content list?

contentList.png

2. Do you see it when you opt-out of the new navigation?

If this is a bug, we will address it pretty quick.

Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.

Hi @Ajay

Correct - If opted out of the new Navigation, the workbook appears. If you refer to the screenshots in the Original Post, first picture uses Green boxes and are for the old Navigation and the second picture uses Red for the New Navigation. The Excel Workbook appears as the "shared" icon in the first picture and is missing from the Workbooks section of the New Navigation. 

Not entirely helpful if anyone is reg-green colorblind in retrospect. 😞 

We have users using the preview and we have to tell them to turn off the preview in order to access the Excel Workbook they have been using for over a year. 

David

We found the root cause of this issue and we are working on a fix. Thanks for reporting this!

Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.

The issue is now resolved 

Thank you 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors