Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SolarPowerBI
Regular Visitor

NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService

Hello,

I am trying to install the enterprise gateway and I am getting the following error

error.png

The error log shows the following:

“Product: EgwServiceConfig -- Error 1920. Service 'Power BI Gateway – Enterprise Service' (PBIEgwService) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.”

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here?

If you think its insufficient privileges (as the error states) could you please indicate what and where as I have tried everything I can think of

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ended up do the install on a different server running Windows Server 2012 R2 without issue.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mwherman2000

I'm having the same problem on a newly installed/upgraded Windows 10 laptop (not connected to a domain) and I'm going the same error.  Is there a solution for installing the Gateway on a Windows 10 laptop?

To clarify, this was during the installation of the PowerApps "On-premises data gateway service".

Here is the text of the exact error message:

Service 'On-premises data gateway service' (PBIEgwService) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Best regards,

Michael Herman

Hi Michael,

Our installations look different but the problem I was having was PBIEgwService did not have the correct privileges to start a service.  The next problem was I could not find the user/service PBIEgwService that was created as part of the installation and automatically added as the "logon as account" for the Power BI Gateway – Enterprise Service
The way that I got around this was to allow "NT Service\ALL Services" (of which PBIEgwService is a member) privileges to login as a service.
If you want to do this you need to open Local Security Policy
Double-click Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignments
In the details pane, double-click Log on as a service
Then you need to add "NT Service\ALL Services"
I hope this helps

NT Service\ALL Services already has Logon locally rights on my Windows 10 laptop.  I still have the problem. 

p.s. The PowerApps version of the Gateway installed properly on Windows Server 2012 R2 but I need it to run on Windows 10.

dimazaid
Employee
Employee

hi @SolarPowerBI,

Are you an admin on that machine? 

Hi @dimazaid

personnaly no I'm not but I have been provided with an account that should be.  Additionally two of the network

team have tried the installation with there credentials and have encountered the same error as above.

Looking at the error log I can see a line that says "Product install will be elevated because user is admin and product is being installed per machine."

I can also see the account I am using is listed under "Log on as a service" in the local security policy.

Ended up do the install on a different server running Windows Server 2012 R2 without issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors