Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Power Bi refreshing with SharePoint is extremely slow

I have my Power Bi linked to my SharePoint to refresh with live data but unfortunately it's around 26MB to refresh and it takes 35 minutes. Surely there has to be a way to cut down the refresh time. All solutions are welcome. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Do you refresh the data in Power BI Desktop or in Power BI Service? If you refresh data in Power BI Desktop, please disable the following options, and we also need to know what changes you make on the data in Power BI Desktop.

1.PNG

If you encounter the issue in Power BI Service, please firstly check that how long it takes to refresh in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am in Power Bi Desktop. I had Time Intelligence and Background Data both checked and they are now unchecked which has made it faster but still in  the 10-15 min range.

In order to get certain fields in the form I needed I removed other columns, expanded fieldvaluesasText and renamed and removed a lot of columns after that.  Overall is it possible to speed it up to 1-3 minutes ?

Thanks for the help

@Anonymous,

Expand operation is going to cause additional requests to be sent to SharePoint, which is going to slow down the refresh. In your scenario, cache the results of SharePoint using the Table.Buffer function as described in this similar thread and check if the refresh is faster.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Would it speed it up if the SharePoint dataset link was into Table 1 in PBI Desktop complete unaltered and 'as is'......  and then create a calculated Table 2 within PBI Desktop?

I'm not sure of the architecture inside the PBI as to whether this approach would segregate the download task (to/from SharePoint) from the transform task (entirely within PBI Desktop).....

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors