Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kaarel
Resolver I
Resolver I

Most efficient way to implement Power BI in a organization?

Hi!

What approach has been working the best for you guys? Requirement gathering + development or agile development in small cycles? What is the best way to translate raw reporting ideas into Power BI dashboards? Once the dashboards are working, what are the most efficient ways to implement a new data-driven business process change?

Best Wishes,

Kaarel.

4 REPLIES 4
johndynammics
Regular Visitor

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the most efficient way to implement Power BI in a organization will vary depending on the specific needs and goals of that organization. However, some tips on how to implement Power BI in an organization efficiently include:

- Defining clear goals and objectives for the Power BI implementation, and ensuring that all stakeholders are on board with these goals.

- Assigning a dedicated team to manage and oversee the Power BI implementation, including training users on how to use the tool.

- Creating a clear and concise Power BI strategy that outlines how the tool will be used to achieve organizational goals.

- Regularly monitoring the Power BI implementation to ensure that it is meeting the needs of the organization.

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kaarel,

In addition, here is a good article about Driving Power BI adoption in your organization – Learn how Microsoft does this at scale for your reference. Smiley Happy

Regards

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @kaarel

What I have found that works is often the users have never seen their data in a visual way. So I often get their data and do a quick mock up with their data after they have given me their basic or current reporting requirements. I then sit down with them and show them what I have created. This generally leads to them gaining a better understanding of what is capable, as well as also educating them on what other options are available or capable. 

Next steps is I then ask them for ideally drawn pictures of how they want to see their data visually. Generally the business users have the deepest understanding of their data, what they want to see and what other people in the Organization ask for. And then it is an iterative approach from there. I find that keeping them engaged and part of the development process leads to greater outcomes, as well as they get what they asked for and almost always something extra.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@kaarel The answer to this question would require an enormous amount of effort... luckily there is a whitepaper that covers the whole gambit of different approaches you could take to deploy a solution in your org. Found here

The only thing I personally don't agree with is the use of Group Workspaces as consumption or sharing components. I view them as report authoring spaces for the vast majority of top down reporting. That isn't to say that there won't be one-off collaborative needs that require them, but overall I'd rather simplify the end user experiance where the vast majority of users only need to see a dashboard. This method also allows me to control sharing permissions in the IT space where I believe it belongs by utilizing AD security groups to share to. That way members can be added and removed and I don't have to manage users in Power BI.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors