Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RonEllisGaut
Advocate I
Advocate I

Monitoring the On Premise Gateway

Does anyone have a clever idea for monitoring the health of the the Gateway service? We are using the On Premise Gateway to connect with SSAS. All good on that front. We have had occations where the Gateway becomes unresponsive and our production system is effectively down. This was an issue two weeks ago and while I'm not sure of the root cause, the problem was fixed by installing the latest version of the gateway.

We'd like to have a notification of some sort if the gateway is not available. Or production environment depends on the gateway and currently it is exposes a single point of failure for the system.  I have read that the there are plans in the works for adding high-availablity features to the service but we don't know when.

I have thought of building a utility that would monitor the Gateway log file, but that may not be that easy. I have noticed that the gateway will continue to log, even when is is not responsive. So such a utility would need to parse the log entries, which are rather criptic.

It would be great to have some sort of a ping service for the gateway. If anyone has other ideas for a solution, all input is welcome.

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

System Center Operations Manager has some very good capabilities with regard to watching for particular information in log files and throwing an error or alert. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Good suggestion, thanks. I'll invistegate.

Hi Ron - How did it go? Were you able to set up the alert?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors