Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

PatrickNealis
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft Official Response to Custom Visual Security

I want to use custom visuals, however seeing the error "Caution: A custom visual could contain code with security or privacy risks" makes this an absolute no-go. I can't afford the potential risk that data could be leaked and I don't have an IT department to scan these visuals for security concerns.

Has Microsoft every posted an official response acknowledging that custom visuals on app.powerbi.com/visuals are certified as secure? I dont plan to download any custom visuals from any alternate sources, just that portal.

---------

(I posted this note in response to an older ticket in the forums from back in 2015. I found that as the closest ticket in the forums resembling my request. Given that ticket is marked as "solved" it looks like that post isn't getting circulation, so I thought I'd try reposting the question here.)

Old forum post link: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Security-Risks-involving-Visuals-from-app-powerbi-com-visual...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-custom-visuals-certified/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PatrickNealis,

In addition, you can refer to this article to Review custom visuals for security and privacy. If you are not sure whether ot's secure to use a specific custom visual send a email to Power BI Custom Visuals Support (pbicvsupport@microsoft.com) to confirm it.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-custom-visuals-certified/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you both for your help here! This article was exactly what I was hoping to find.

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors