Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

POWERShawn
Regular Visitor

Microsoft Data Management Gateway vs Power BI Gateway

What is the difference between Microsoft Data Management Gateway and Power BI Gateway?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@POWERShawn From my understanding the "Data Management Gateway" was the gateway used for the first release of Power BI when it was part of SharePoint online... "Power BI for Office 365". I thought this product was discontinued...

For Power BI (currently) use either the personal or On Premises Data Gateway that you can download from the PBI Service. (or it re-directs you to the right one. I don't know if Azure still uses that gateway, and I know there are several gateways out there depending on what you are using (which is confusing). The end goal will most likely be to consolidate all these gateways to just one, but in the interim, stick with the PBI one's you can get from the Service to avoid confusion.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@POWERShawn From my understanding the "Data Management Gateway" was the gateway used for the first release of Power BI when it was part of SharePoint online... "Power BI for Office 365". I thought this product was discontinued...

For Power BI (currently) use either the personal or On Premises Data Gateway that you can download from the PBI Service. (or it re-directs you to the right one. I don't know if Azure still uses that gateway, and I know there are several gateways out there depending on what you are using (which is confusing). The end goal will most likely be to consolidate all these gateways to just one, but in the interim, stick with the PBI one's you can get from the Service to avoid confusion.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Documentation says Azure data factory can use data mamangement gateway for connections to onpremise applications. Can data factory use power BI gateways also?

@Seth_C_Bauer Great information, thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors