Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

v-rahjoh
Regular Visitor

Master Refresh Schedule for all datasets in a given Power BI Workspace

Hi. Is anyone aware of a way to extract Power BI refresh metadata for all datasets in a given workspace? What we're trying to do is visualize our "master" refresh schedule to make it easier to identify potential schedule hotspots. This would also give us a rough idea / heads-up of points throughout the day that our Azure Data Warehouse instance is expected to get hit hard.

Even a way to download refresh history for an entire workspace would be of tremendous help to us. Any ideas on how to do that? 

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @v-rahjoh

You can use the Power BI Refresh API, this has the ability to let you know the history of when your datasets have been refreshed.

So you could use this to then see based on the refresh schedule, when your data warehouse will be under a larger load

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-data-refresh-apis-in-the-power-bi-service/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @v-rahjoh

You can use the Power BI Refresh API, this has the ability to let you know the history of when your datasets have been refreshed.

So you could use this to then see based on the refresh schedule, when your data warehouse will be under a larger load

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-data-refresh-apis-in-the-power-bi-service/

Power BI Blog

This is great! Thanks so much @GilbertQ for the assist! 

Glad to assist and help you find a solution

Power BI Blog

Just discovered another way to report on all scheduled dataset refreshes for a given workspace / group. PowerBI Auditing has an event for dataset refreshes. Unfortunately, since we're in the MSFT PowerBI master group, we don't have access to audit logs at this time (I'm told that's because we'd have access to everyone's logs corporate-wide, not just our own).

So, anyone with a Pro license should be able to get a report of dataset refreshes via audit logs if they're interested. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors