Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Lock map zoom & position

Map reports are often difficult to use because the position and zoom level are constantly repositioned as points are being rendered.  Let's say that I have a set of data with Country, State and City fields which are arranged in hierarchal order in the Location list for the map visual.  I double-click the the bubble for the United States and bubbles appear over each state, however NF and SA, which are supposed to repressent Canadian provinces, show up over Finland and Australia.  I accept that geocoding (and data quality) is an inexact science and there are likley to be ouliers so I ignore them and zoom the map back to North America.  Now, I double-click on California to get to the cities and all hell breaks loose.  Cities are getting placed all over the world.  Again, I try to zoom in position the map so it just shows California but as soon as a new bubble is placed elsewhere, the map auto zooms and repositions itself.  With a large set of data, this becomes a battle between user and the tool.

I think there are two possible solutions to this problem: 1) Allow the map position to be locked.  That should be simple.  2) Constrain geocoding and object placement within the selected hierarchy.  In other words, If I've already selected US & California, don't place Del Rosa in Columbia and New Castle in the England.  Also, the drill-up button isn't easy to locate on a map and only appears momentarily.

4 REPLIES 4
altieripereira
Regular Visitor

The best solution for maps at now are PowerMaps, but, I think some integration with PowerBI tools are comming soon.

Thanks 😉

jbocachica
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi, we have the same issue in Colombia, our capital is Bogotá (With the accent), however there is a city called Bogota in New Jersey, a workaround was call the city "Bogotá, Colombia" instead of just Bogotá, keep in mind that PowerBI is using the Bing Maps API.

Regards

John Bocachica
Senior BI Consultant
Information Workers
http://www.iwco.co

Any news on this?  It's really annoying and I'm looking to embed into a website--so Excel isn't an option.  

Hi All,

Any news on this?

It is very inconvenient for users when current map position (and zoom) is lost after applying some filters.

Thank you.

Regards,

Oleg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors