Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lajonce

Latest Month via App.Power.BI filters - driving me nuts!

Please can somebody help me? I Import my companies Azure operational cost into the power bi online portal and I only know how to manipulate the dashboards and reports online via the filters and not via some code. It seems like my only option to display the latest month is to add a filter and highlight the current 'latest month' by specifcally chosing it from the list (see screenshot) but, as the world turns, and we hit next month, I am left with a report for my boss now showing last month and I have to revisit multiple reports to update them by unchecking March (for example) and ticking April. I am sure this cant be the only way to update the reports? Can it? Can anyone help me here guys as it is truly driving me nuts.....Any help really appreciated
Capture.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@lajonce

I think a more elegant way would be using slicers.

Capture.PNG

What is the datasource in your case, do you have to import data in Power BI Serivce? If you can access the data and generate report in Power BI Desktop, you would have more flexibility, such as @Anonymous's advice.

Hi Guys, @Eric_Zhang@Anonymousthanks for your comments. I work for a multinational company who are providing Azure subscriptions / services internally e.g. to dev and application teams.  In the past I have downloaded the behemoth (Smiley Tongue) spreadsheet from the EA portal and tried to manipulate spend and then send this out monthly. These guys need to see how much they are spending daily e.g. in case changes have impacted cost, and the only practical way to do this (afaik) is to use the power bi online portal and which references the latest month / /week or day and that is where my problem is. Unless there is some other way to acomplish this I think Microsoft need to add a 'latest month / week / day' filter in their views? Assuming the functionality is not there, where could I request this guys?

Thanks for your time so far! Appreciated.Smiley Very Happy

@lajonce wrote:

Hi Guys, @Eric_Zhang@Anonymousthanks for your comments. I work for a multinational company who are providing Azure subscriptions / services internally e.g. to dev and application teams.  In the past I have downloaded the behemoth (Smiley Tongue) spreadsheet from the EA portal and tried to manipulate spend and then send this out monthly. These guys need to see how much they are spending daily e.g. in case changes have impacted cost, and the only practical way to do this (afaik) is to use the power bi online portal and which references the latest month / /week or day and that is where my problem is. Unless there is some other way to acomplish this I think Microsoft need to add a 'latest month / week / day' filter in their views? Assuming the functionality is not there, where could I request this guys?

Thanks for your time so far! Appreciated.Smiley Very Happy

My question is why you have to use power bi online portal to develop the report. If using power bi desktop to design the report, you can take the workaound as @Anonymous mentioned. The calculated column can indicate if the data is for latest month or not.

Capture.PNG

As to let your voice heard by the Power BI product team, you can check the Power BI Ideas site.

@Eric_Zhang Hi, am I missing something obvious? I import Azure operational spend from the EA portal nightly and then present the data sets to our internal users of the Azure subscriptions. This is done automatically but the functionality of showing 'This Month' or 'This Week' or 'Last 24 hours' isnt available. If I were to do what @Anonymous states, I would need to manually download the reports nightly, manipulate data and then export to Power BI online to allow the internal teams to view the data wouldnt I? What if I am on holiday or, better still, win the lottery Smiley Very Happy? I think I must be missing some functionality perhaps as it looks like I am swapping automated reports for manual manipulaltion and exporting? What do you think guys? Really appreciate your advice but I supsect that, as @corbusier intimates here Dynamic dates, the functionality is simply not available for me yet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Add a column to the date table and put in an if statement along the lines of:

Current Month = if(
     and(
          month([My Date Field]) = month(Today()),
          year([My Date Field]) = year(Today())
     ), 
     "Yes", 
     "No"
)

Where [My Date Field] is the fieldname of your date column.  Then just put this field as your filter and only show "Yes".

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors