Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NunesDiogo

Joining power bi service with power bi desktop

Hello,

I'm new to this tool and working mainly with excel files. I do understand Power BI WebService lose in data modeling to Power BI Desktop. But Power Bi WebService have a better refresh data rate than Power Bi Desktop. Is it possible to mix the Power bi desktop modeling data with the refresh rate from the Power BI WebService ? 

Linking Power BI desktop to the data bases is out of the question. My company isn't the owner of his own data, i know this is strange but is our reality.

Best regards

Diogo Nunes

3 REPLIES 3

@NunesDiogo Is the data set very large? If I understand you correctly it takes a long time for you to refresh the model in the Desktop. It could be data size, some changes needed in the model, or calculations. But there is no auto-refresh in the Desktop itself. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer sorry if i didnt type well.

At the moment i can refresh my data automatically through one drive and datagateway. One drive method is using the power bi service and the data gateway is through power bi desktop. The one drive can have a refresh rate by 1 hour and the datagateway only have 1 time per day.  I would like to have this hourly refresh in power bi desktop if was possible.

I hope i am being clear about this issue.

Regards

Diogo Nunes

@NunesDiogo I apologize, I'm not following. This article might help in clarifying what you can and can't do for different refresh scenarios.

If you are putting your Desktop file on OneDrive you would still need to refresh the data in that location, and the gateway won't do that... The gateway only refreshes the dataset that is in the Power BI Service with the data from the datasource, which you say you can't access...

I'm probably not understanding the layout of what you describe.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors