Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kbersani
Advocate I
Advocate I

Issue with User leaving Company - Groups

We ran into a issue with a recent PBI Pro user who had published reports into a group, using a dataset from an established gateway, however when the user left the company the report no longer worked - see below for addtional information:

• Pro User 1 builds a report using Direct Query.
  • Pro User 1 has rights to use the Enterprise Gateway.
  • Pro User 1 published the report and data set to a group location through an Enterprise Gateway.
  • Pro User  2 consumed the report via the web service on a daily basis and created dashboard tiles.
  • Pro User 1 leaves the company.
  • Pro User 1 windows account is deleted from the network.
  • Pro User 2 can no longer view the report Pro User 2 built – Error
  • Pro User 3 (part of the group location) tried to republish and overwrite – Failed
  • Pro User 3 had to remove the dataset and report to republish.
  • Pro User 2 now has to rebuild his dashboard tiles as the connection to original report has been cut. 

Is there a way to prperly transition datasets to users with gateway access after hte owner has been removed so that any dashboard tiles can be maintained?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
zapps
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Kbersani

The best way my company has found to trasition data sets is to have another admin of the user group "take over" the data set.  Following the steps below, an admin of the group can use their credentials to refresh a data set:

1) A group admin should login to Power BI Service and navigate to the noted group.

2) Select the data sets tab.

3) Click the "Schedule Refresh" button on the data set you want to take over.

4) In the Upper-middle of the screen there should be a button that says "Take Over", click it.

5) The person taking over the data set may have to enter their credentials after taking over to correctly refresh the data set.

You can repeat these steps for each other data set that the person managed.  Unfortunately if the data set is in a place that only the person who left had access to (i.e. their desktop), the person taking over the data will not be able to refresh the data set. 

Hope this helps,

zapp

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
zapps
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Kbersani

The best way my company has found to trasition data sets is to have another admin of the user group "take over" the data set.  Following the steps below, an admin of the group can use their credentials to refresh a data set:

1) A group admin should login to Power BI Service and navigate to the noted group.

2) Select the data sets tab.

3) Click the "Schedule Refresh" button on the data set you want to take over.

4) In the Upper-middle of the screen there should be a button that says "Take Over", click it.

5) The person taking over the data set may have to enter their credentials after taking over to correctly refresh the data set.

You can repeat these steps for each other data set that the person managed.  Unfortunately if the data set is in a place that only the person who left had access to (i.e. their desktop), the person taking over the data will not be able to refresh the data set. 

Hope this helps,

zapp

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors