Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

eamonnde
Frequent Visitor

Invalid connection credentials Refresh issue

Hi,

I've created two reports in power bi and published them to power bi online. I've also created an on premise data gateway on a device that is constantly running and added the corresponding gateways to the cluster in power bi online.

When I refresh the data online in report 1, the refresh runs without any issues. When i run a refresh on the report 2 i get an error back saying "Invalid connection credentials."

Apart from a different server name, the only difference that exits is that in edit permissions on power bi desktop, report 1 has the "Encrypt connection" option selected and report 2 doesn't.

Both files refresh and update in desktop but report 2 online provides the "Invalid connection credentials" error.

Any help would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Tim,

Our issue seemed to revolve around the certificate not have the server name, we added it and it worked for us.

Apologies for the delay in response.

Eamonn

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
eaglewoods
Frequent Visitor

Dear all,

Not sure, after so long if anyone has found the solution to this issue, but I was facing the same issue while refreshing PBI web services with an API token.

As nobody mentioned the solution in this thread, I am including how i solved this issue.

1) In PBI Desktop, I gave the API with the permanent token in the Advanced Editor. 

2) In PBI webservices, I used this below settings.

eaglewoods_0-1658840787446.png

And this worked for me. The PBI webservices are now refreshing on demand and I can also schedule 8 refresh /day. PBI Pro user.

Cheers!

interesting.  These are exactly the same steps I'm following but my issue is not resolved.  may I ask if your url string contains any additional parameters?  ex: http://rest?param1=x&param2=z.

My connection string within desktop is as follows: 

Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://xxx.yyy.com/api/xxx/yyy" & "?param1=false&param2=true&param3=true", [Headers=[#"my-api-key"="abcdefgkey1234"]]))

thank you,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having the same innexplicable issue and unsurprised that after reading this entire thread, theres:

1. No clear reason as to why this is happening (Something vague about a certificate?)

2. No obvious solution

Will keep digging I guess

Leecal123

I'm currently connecting to a web data source using API Key passed as a header in my URL. Works fine in PowerBI desktop.

I'm trying to create scheduled refresh using personal gateway however am getting invalid credentials error.

Any idea's how to pass my API Key as part of the URL when adding my Web data source to gateway?

Thanks,

Lee

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @eamonnde,

Can you please share more detail information to help use clarify your scenario? (for e.g. datasource type, connection mode, data source credentials setting, screenshots, gateway logs)

Reference links:

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Troubleshooting the On-premises data gateway

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

The data is being directly imported from a SQL Server DB with a SQL query being used to import the data directly into Power BI.

The credentials give me permission to pull the data into Power BI without any issues and the refresh option in Power BI desktop works fine, the same credentials are used in Power BI online to access the data through the gateway, all gateway connections are online and good to go.

When i hit refresh on report 1 in Power BI online, all content refreshes without any issues, when i do the same for report 2 I get the following response.

image.png

Thanks

Eamonn

Eamon,

I am currently having the same issue that you describe.  Were you able to resolve this?  If so, could you please share.

Thank you,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Our issue seemed to revolve around the certificate not have the server name, we added it and it worked for us.

Apologies for the delay in response.

Eamonn

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's not a solution

Anonymous
Not applicable

How and where can I add the certificate? I'm having the same issue, the report worked perfectly for months and suddenly I have this problem, I have no idea if something happened with the domain accounts or what. Please show us how you solved this issue.

I am having the same issue but I am not able to follow your answer. Can you please elaborate little bit how/where I need to add the certificate? 

Thanks.

Hi @eamonnde,

I'd like to suggest you double check dataset of reports, it seems like your credentials are dropped.

In addition, which gateway you used? If you mean personal gateway, have you try to use on-premise version and try again?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors