Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Info Request: How are published reports hosted (one server, server cluster, round robin, etc?)

When we publish a report to the service... what happens exactly?

Is there one and only one PowerBI server that all my reports are hosted by in the cloud?

Are there a cluster of servers and they take turns serving the reports based off traffic demands?

I know that they seem to be published to servers in my "region" as I can look and see what region I am in and it will say:

Cluster URI ...wabi-us-north-central... in my case (I assume each region has its own).

However, what happens after that?

Is there a delay while it replicates the report pbix to other servers in the cluster?

Does it work like SSRS where each application server (rendering box) connects to a shared database and the database itself holds the report files?  Then when a request comes in the user is connected to whatever rendering server is available and it retrieves the pbix file?

Do the servers cache the files, if you publish an update to a file...how quickly does that make it out into the wild?  Is it possible for users to be connecting to different PBI service servers and the report to get out of sync for a while?

Just want to better understand the details of what happens after we click "publish" in Desktop.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi OneWithQuestion,

Yes, power bi is a cloud-based application. You can refer to the similar case:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Is-Power-BI-a-cloud-based-BI-Tools/td-p/80151

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

That post talks about it being cloud based, but I was hoping on details on how exactly it works.

What happens behind the scenes other than it just being "on the cloud" so to speak.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors