Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

How to create a bookmark in Power BI Service?

Page 220 of this Microsoft release notes document (https://aka.ms/dynamics365releasenotes) says this about Power BI:

Bookmarking
Create bookmarks in the Power BI Service without first creating a bookmark in Power BI Desktop. The Bookmarking feature is generally available, and it no longer requires the feature to be turned on from the Preview tab in the Options dialog box.

My question is how?

After I turn on the Bookmarks pane in powerbi.com, I can view the bookmarks pane. I can see exiting bookmarks, but the "Add" option is grayed out. Why? Is this something our corporate BI COE needs to enable or do I have to do something in the desktop version of the report and republish?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Shelley,

That's correct - since bookmarks are saved per-report, not per-user, only people with access to the PBIX or edit rights can create bookmarks.

Now, if an end user choses a selection of filters in the Service, those selections are kept for them when existing and reloading the report, but they can't be saved into an actual bookmrak.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Shelley,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem. I am the admin of the workspace, I published a report but the Add button is grayed out. What am I missing? how can I enable to Add new bookmarks?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to be in "Edit report" mode to add report-level bookmarks

RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Shelley,

Checking just now on one of my reports online, I'm able to add bookmarks just fine. The PBI service health report is all green, so it might be something on your end. 

d.PNG

Independently, it's much easier to manage bookmarks from PBI Desktop, so I'd definitely make your changes there if at all possible.

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @RMDNA, Thank you for the reply. I was thinking end users could make their own bookmarks. After seeing your reply and thinking about this, it looks like I have to first Edit the report and then I too can Add a bookmark in the service.

So, adding a bookmark in the service must be limited to only those with edit access to the report? I was looking for an end user to be able to add a bookmark, similar to what they can do in QlikView - in order to save the filters for those views they frequently visit.

@Shelley,

That's correct - since bookmarks are saved per-report, not per-user, only people with access to the PBIX or edit rights can create bookmarks.

Now, if an end user choses a selection of filters in the Service, those selections are kept for them when existing and reloading the report, but they can't be saved into an actual bookmrak.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors