Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tylerbauer
Helper II
Helper II

How to change a data source for a Power BI file?

How do you change the data source of a pbix file when you upload it into the Power BI service? I am trying to connect to onedrive but it seems OneDrive can only be connect through the web service and not the desktop version. If you created your reports on the desktop version, would you have to recreate the reports on the web version to access onedrive?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@tylerbauer You can connect from the Desktop, you just need to use the "web" datasource. Here is a walkthrough

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

Hi @tylerbauer,

Both OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business are supported. Here is a similar thread about connecting OneDrive Personal on Power BI Desktop for your reference. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@tylerbauer You can connect from the Desktop, you just need to use the "web" datasource. Here is a walkthrough

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Do you know if that works for the personal OneDrive or only OneDrive for business?

Hi @tylerbauer,

Both OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business are supported. Here is a similar thread about connecting OneDrive Personal on Power BI Desktop for your reference. Smiley Happy

Regards

Thanks for the link! That worked perfectly. I have a question about the data refresh capabilities. I know for the connection between OneDrive business and Power BI the data refreshes every hour. For the connnection you linked me to for connecting OneDrive Personal to Power BI, does the data refresh every hour as well? Basically, I want to make sure that the data refreshes correctly on the desktop file, on the online report when I publish it, and eventually in Power BI embedded. Thanks a ton!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors