Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sac
Helper I
Helper I

How to append new excel file to exiting excel file in power bi using Auto refresh ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sac,

You can place those Excel files in one folder, then in Power BI desktop, connect to this folder via Folder data source, use Combine Files feature. Please note the Excel structure need to be the same, eg: table name and column name. See:  Combine binaries in Power BI Desktop.

w1.PNG

When you receive the new Excel file, you can put it in this folder. Refresh in desktop you can get data both from old files and new file. After publish to service, you need to create a Folder data source under data gateway then configure the dataset to use this data gateway.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sac,

You can place those Excel files in one folder, then in Power BI desktop, connect to this folder via Folder data source, use Combine Files feature. Please note the Excel structure need to be the same, eg: table name and column name. See:  Combine binaries in Power BI Desktop.

w1.PNG

When you receive the new Excel file, you can put it in this folder. Refresh in desktop you can get data both from old files and new file. After publish to service, you need to create a Folder data source under data gateway then configure the dataset to use this data gateway.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Sac

Can you please provide more details around what you are wanting to do?

If it is another file that you want to append to an existing file, in the Query Editor there is an option to Append the data together.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Dear,

Actually i want to set up auto refresh.  I am working on the project in which suppiler sends us report in excel file every month. I already make model and dashboard. Now Quetion is .

Next month , when i got a new excel file from suppiler then i want to set up auto refresh and the data of that new excel file will append to my exiting excel file in power bi .

Hi @Sac

Is it going to be a new file or overwrite the existing file?

If it is going to overwrite the existing file then on refresh it will load all the contents of the file. So your historical data if not contained within the Excel file will get lost.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

No. Actually i want to keep my historical data as it is and append only new data to that file.  Do you have any way to do this  other than this  ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors