Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to add same person to 2 or more roles in PowerBI

Hi

In my organization there is a APAC manager and then there are country managers. APAC manager will review the data with country managers. I want to create country specific roles like Australia, Japan, India etc. for country managers so that they are able to see data specific to their own country.

I want the APAC manager to be able to view country specific data too when he is reviewing it with country managers. How to enable this in PowerBI? Will adding the APAC manager to each country specific role work? If so, how will APAC manager filter to specific country when reviewing the data with country managers (my assumption if I add APAC manager to each country role, he will see all the countries aggregated in his view.)

Please help.

Thanks

Anupam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

For APAC manager, it looks like he shoud view specific data based on specific department. However, we could set RLS based on users account, but cannot based on department. If without a slicer/filter, how could we tell the report which department data to display. Per my knowledge, this is not achieveable currently.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I want the APAC manager to be able to view country specific data too when he is reviewing it with country managers. How to enable this in PowerBI? Will adding the APAC manager to each country specific role work? 

Based on my test, if adding the same account to multiple roles, he will see all the data records in his view from different roles. Personally, I would suggest you add a slicer in report, and set an extra role for APAC manager so that he have access to all data. But he can select to review specific data too when he is reviewing it with country managers. Alternatively, if you don't want to add additional role, you could add APAC manager to each existing role one by one.

1.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Anonymous You could add a slicer or filter to the report. In this way, all the country managers would only see their country, but the APAC manager would be able to choose the country he wanted to review, or see them all.

There also appears to be a question about how to set up row level security. Here are a couple links that could help. 

Static

Dynamic (while this example is a tutorial for use when creating a model in SSAS, the principals are the same, and I believe you should be able to do this in the Desktop. (have not tried personally) / There is also a walkthrough article written by @GilbertQ located here that should still be applicable

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your response . I have a country report that I'm the owner. From that report I've pinned several visuals into a country dashboard, which I'm going to expose to the country managers and the APAC manager. I don't think I can pin a slicer to a dashboard unless I pin the whole live page. Which I can't do, just because of the way report is designed and the flow of tiles etc. Is there any other way?

Hi @Anonymous,

For APAC manager, it looks like he shoud view specific data based on specific department. However, we could set RLS based on users account, but cannot based on department. If without a slicer/filter, how could we tell the report which department data to display. Per my knowledge, this is not achieveable currently.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors