Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kumar11109
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to Publish Files Greater Than 1 GB

Dear All, 

I am facing the issue of not able to publish files greater than 1 GB. How can I do it, can anyone help me with this. I already have a pro-account. How can I solve this issue? 

Thank You, 

12 REPLIES 12
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Kumar11109,

1 GB of dataset is a limitation. Maybe you can try Premium. The large dataset support is available. Please refer to service-premium-large-datasets.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Premium is also another option. It will remove the restrictions of file sizes limit, hence, the price for it is not cheap

@Anonymous, do you have experience with this? I posted a question yesterday asking if the limit was expanded in A, EM and P nodes but no one has replied. I am hitting the limit, and can't use DirectQuery because I need to retrieve more than 1,000,000 rows.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SamTrexler,

I dont have any experience with Power BI Premium, but I have read the Power BI premium whitepaper. Here is an extract that I found:

"The standard limitation on the dataset size cached in Power BI is 1 GB. But with Power BI Premium, we will be removing that limitation. You will be able to build models as large as the Power BI Premium dedicated capacity memory can hold. This means that the Power BI Premium P3 SKU will be able to support a dataset with 50 GB of data or more, and upcoming SKUs will offer capacity sizes that allow datasets with hundreds of gigabytes of data"

Maybe you could reach out to the Power BI team for more info?

Publish the model to Azure Analysis Service and hook PowerBI from there. You can have up to 400 GB memory in your instance.

@Molotch Can you refer me to an article a regarding this topic? 

Well, I don't know what you're after but this might be a good start.

https://azure.microsoft.com/sv-se/blog/connecting-power-bi-to-an-azure-analysis-services-server/

@Molotch

The article doesn't specify the size of the pbix that I can publish on power bi service. I also tried finding an article, but couldn't find anything related to what you said. 

Let me know if you know any. 

Thank You, 

Kumar Ashwarya 

Hi,

What @deepu299 said. If you publish your data model to AAS your PowerBI model will only contain the views and a connection to AAS. Very small size. The data, model, KPI:s, measures and so forth are handled in AAS. PowerBI is only a frontend.

You have a limit on 1 million rows to bring in from AAS per query. But there should never be a reason to have close to 1 million rows in a view anyway so that shouldn't matter.

Another cheper and a bit more limited way is to setup a Spark application in a HDInsight cluster or Azure Databrick and use that to query against, again just using Power BI as a frontend for the Spark backend.

@Kumar11109   If you connect to AAS using live option, your PBIX will be only metadata and it will be very small file, usually in KBs or MBs. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You will need to switch to DirectQuery.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Even if you use the Direct Query also in Direct query we have limitation of 1M records.

Using Direct query we can fetch 1M the data.

Only option is that take the premimum P1.

Regards,

Bajee.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors