Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnjohn123
Regular Visitor

How many users we need for our PowerBI environment. separate user for each end user?

We have multiple SharePoint farms for our customers. some of these farms are SharePoint Online, while the others are SharePoint on-premises. now for these farms the number of SharePoint users who read/modify the sharepoint lists are equal to the users defined inside our Active Directory.

Now our customers want to integrate the Microsoft PowerBI capabilities with SharePoint sites. but from an architecture point of view, how many PowerBI users we need to have? and what determine this?

Now currently i did the following test:-

1. Inside my PowerBI desktop application, i created a new PowerBI report.

2. I define the source to be a sharepoint list.

3. Then i save and "Publish" the PowerBI report.

4. Then inside the "File" menu >> I chose "Publish to web".

5. where i got this code, which represents my PowerBI report inside an iframe:-

<iframe 
width="800" height="600" src="https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=e*******9" 
frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="true">
</iframe>

6. then inside the PowerBI >> DataSet >> DataSet credential >> i define a PowerBI username.

7. then i went to a sharepoint page >> I Edit the page >> I add "Embed Code", as follow:-

Then i past the above code. where i got the PowerBI report embedded inside my sharepoint pages, as follow:-

8. now all sharepoint users can view the PowerBI report using single PowerBI user, inside the sharepoint pages.

So this raised the following concern/question about how many PowerBI users we need to have? is a single user sufficient ? and what are the factors which determine how many PowerBI users we need to have? should every end user have a separate PowerBI account ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@johnjohn123,

When you use publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone who have access to your Sharepoint site. There is no authentication used when viewing these reports. So if you have a use with Power BI subscription, then you can use that user to publish you report to web and then embed into your sharepoint site.

Reference
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@johnjohn123,

When you use publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone who have access to your Sharepoint site. There is no authentication used when viewing these reports. So if you have a use with Power BI subscription, then you can use that user to publish you report to web and then embed into your sharepoint site.

Reference
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors