Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

How does Power BI cache data?

I'm interested to know from a performance and security perspective how Power BI caching works.

Is there any public documentation on this?  There may be opportinities for me to take full advantage of caching if I understand how this works and give my users a better overall experience.

I am particularly interested around data sourced via the SSAS Connector.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

3 REPLIES 3
detlev
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Phil, did you ever get a detailed answer on this topic? I am also dealing with it, from the same perspective.

kind regards,

Detlev

willsmithorg

There's a lot on the internal storage methods (basically an in-memory database) and optimizing queries in the book "The Definitive Guide to DAX". 

In terms of hardware, essentially, you need enough memory to keep the entire database in-memory.   Provided you have sufficient memory, CPU speed is then the next determinant of performance.  But there's lots of ways to optimize DAX discussed in the book.

Quant Analyst, APT, FISGlobal, London.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Searching the support site for the word "cache" brings back 0 results. Searching for "caching" finds a document about the Windows App. So, no love there.

You might see if you can find anything here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-analysis-services-connector-indepth/...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors