Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dhruvin
Helper III
Helper III

How can I start application development for Power BI?

I have few questions regarding application development in Power BI.

I want to prepare an application which takes data from third party application like JIRA,GIT or VSTS.

I want to publish this application as publically available in Microsoft App source. When end user click on Get IT Now from Microsoft App source they need to provide application URL , Username and Password.

I don't want to use Power BI premium licence for that.

I have few questions regarding this development.

1. How can I start with first? Do I need to prepare Power BI report by getting data from third party application first or I need to focus on Authentication process and loading a data first?
  2. Is there any example available for similar kind of development?
  3. How can I test this using App source?

Your answers are appriciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Dhruvin,

According to your description, I think template content pack will suitable for your requirement.

Reference links

Author template content packs in Power BI

Template content pack experiences in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Dhruvin,

>>I want to prepare an application which takes data from third party application like JIRA,GIT or VSTS.

AFAIK, current power bi desktop has github, vsts connector, if you want to create reports based on these datasource, you can direct use specific connector.

If you want to do some customize with these datasource, you can take a look at power bi data connectior develop.

Data Connector SDK Developer Preview

If you mean dev a template content pack with third party datasource, you can refer to following link:

Regards,

Xiaoxin Shneg

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Basically, I need dynamics Authentication for every user who will use my content pack.

Suppose, I have prepared a Power BI report using Username abc@xyz.com for Project X.

Now, when user "pqr" want to use this content pack and want to generate the report for Project "P".

How can I achieve this?

Hi @Dhruvin,

According to your description, I think template content pack will suitable for your requirement.

Reference links

Template content pack experiences in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Yes @v-shex-msft 

I think this is the correct way for my requirement,

Thank you so much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors