Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hierarchy slicer erroring after today's update

Hi all,

I have several reports that use the hierarchy slicer, which were all working fine for months until today. When you try to filter at any node of the hierarchy slicer, all other visuals error out with the "!" cannot display data.

I've found that this only impacts my reports in the Power BI service and Power BI embedded, but the desktop version of the report filters without errors.

I also noticed that if change the Empty Leaf setting to On (default), the filtering works again! However, I really like the ability to turn off the empty leafs as it is a better user experience. Has anyone else had issues after today's update to PBI service/Desktop? If you have reports with the attribute slicer, please test and let me know!

@jppp - If you have any updates, please let me know as well. I really love the custom visual and use it for many clients. I'm also curious if there is support to pass through the of the hierarchy slicer (lowest chosen level) when using the new Drillthrough feature. It doesn't seem to pass the correct context to the drillthrough page.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Mardin,

The current version should not be giving blank visuals and can be forced to be used by manual clearing the browser cache.

-JP

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39

Hi all,

Just a quick update from my side: I have investigated the issue via the sample @Anonymous shared with me and found also the root cause for the issue of the 'malfunction queries'.

I will implement a fix and for now the only workaround is to turn off the 'Empty Leaves' option.

Thanks, JP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for looking into this so quickly! Please update us when the new version is out. How long does it typically take for Microsoft to approve the changes?

I assume we have to manually update each report to download/use the newest version of the custom visual when it is ready? Or do they auto-update when a custom visual is updated?

I will submit a new version asap and will take a look if it can be released quickly after.

But if the new version if released all reports will update automatically to the newest version, so no manual work. 

Hi @jppp I am a little confused about whether your submitted update only aims to fix the specific crashes mentioned by other users in this thread, or if it will also fix the completely blank Hierarchy slicer in Internet Explorer?

My colleagues and I are only experiencing the blank slicer bug in IE, but unfortunately this affect a huge amount of reports in my company.

I really appreciate your fast response times, and love your slicer. So first of all thanks a lot for all the support. But I wonder if maybe Microsoft could help some more in the future to avoid these kind of issues going forward? It seems that they made some updates to the service behind the scenes that made existing reports and visuals/slicers suddenly stop working? This kind of thing reeeally put Power BI on the line since there is really not much room for critical downtime of reports for several days before someone in top management will shut down Power BI entirely and revert back to Tableau ;-(

Hi All,

To be clear: last Wednesday the old version of my slicer was rolled back due to the issues (blank visual in IE and query errors with ragged hierarchies).

Both issues hit my by surprise as the visual is being used in scenarios that I could not imaging (kudos!) and therefor were not properly tested. I am sorry for causing all the troubles regarding my visual. 

I have a new version submitted which solves those issues and it will be release in ~2 weeks.

Thanks, Jan Pieter

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply. You mention that the bugged version has been rolled back, although we are still seeing the blank slicer across our company reports this morning. Do you know if one can do a manual fix to get the old working version back temporarily?

Having to wait aprox. 2 weeks for our reports to get to work again is unfortunately not feasible.

If this is the case, we need to invest some time in altering the reports to use the standard MS Slicer instead (and probably won't go back to Hierarchy Slicer afterwards unfortunately since it's basically too risky).

Hi @Mardin,

The current version should not be giving blank visuals and can be forced to be used by manual clearing the browser cache.

-JP

@jppp what ever happened in Power BI Online backstage last night or this morning, something went reeeally bad! The Hierarchy slicer is this time killing the entire report whenever the user select something in the report resulting in big black crosses on all visuals in the report.

Please have Microsoft roll back the update once again as soon as possible! This is starting to become a really big problem.

Sorry for the late response, but there was a new release this week, but that still had some issues regarding ragged hierarchies.

After that the original version was put back to production and should now be available to everybody.

If you still experience query errors / blank visuals, please clear your browser cache and try again.

Thanks, Jan Pieter

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @jppp

I am facing similar issue with the hierarchy slicer selection . Error is "Some thing went wrong while rendering the report"

Issue Description : I have 3 Levels in Hierarchy slicer and the Hiearchy list is very long, for the quick search i kept the search from the ''More options" on the visualScreenshot1.jpg

After that i am not able to select any node from the slicer. It throws error 

Screenshot2.jpg

And if i keep Empty leaves selection as 'ON' then only i am able to select any node in the slicer.

But my requirement is to keep Empty leaves selection as 'OFF'. Please let me know when this is resolved

This issue happens when there are empty nodes in the Hierarchy and we want to use search.

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for reporting the issue. I will take a look what is causing this and report back to this thread.

Thanks, JP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jppp

Thank you for the response.  One thing i noticed while testing this issue is - in the format pane of the hierarchy slicer we have a option called 'Search' (Add search seletion to current selection) according to the release 1.2.0.

Capture3.PNG

Interesting thing to notice is when that option is available in the format pane, my slicer is working fine without any issue

Capture1.PNG

But some times that search option is not there in the format pane - though the PBIX file and Desktop version are same

Capture2.PNG 

Thanks

Sailee

Clearing the browser cache fortunately worked for us this time also. Gave us a real good scare 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it worked for me too now..Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jppp

Hi,

It has started working now.Thanks alot for your help.

But i have some queries as if any change is made in custom visual it impacts all our dashboards.

Could you please respond on below two points

• what is the support provided by Microsoft for the custom visuals?
  • Also if we have liberty not to update patches for custom visuals – can we turn off auto update?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jppp:

It is not working on Power BI service i tried testing by republishing.but no luck.

Oh, that did the trick! Thanks a lot! 🙂

Poppy
Regular Visitor

Hi, any update on this? We've had to revert back to standard slicers for one of our company reports, but hoping to reinstate the Hierarchy slicer ASAP. I'm mainly commenting on this so I'll get some sort of notification if there's an update instead of having to keep checking back.

Many thanks 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response @jppp .  The version currently on my machine is below. We have SCCM, WSUS and those styles of programs, so updating is handled by the admins.  Hopefully this version is recent enough.

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors