Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CmdrKeene
Helper IV
Helper IV

Help Building Query

I need some help figuring out what strategy I should use to accomplish this in Power BI.

I have a list of subscribed customers along with their subscription start and end dates.  In Excel I can use a COUNTIF function in a separate date table (seen on right side) to count how many customers were active in any given month.  That is, I compare how many customers had a subscription start on/before a given date and also had an end date at some point after that date.  That way I can show subscribers per month as shown.

But I want to do this with Power BI instead of a table to the side.

I'm sure I'll need a date dimension table, and there's plenty of guides on that.  But what about counts per month?  And I'd love to still be able to slice or chart by group (as a legend value in a stacked bar for example).

I've been trying for a while but I'm not getting very far.  Any suggestions for a Power BI newbie?

This file is shared here: CustomerCounts.xlsx

CmdrKeene
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you like, you can do this without a calendar-table and within the query-editor.

Either reference or transform your table like this:

let
    Source = BillingItems,

// Create a list of (first of) months for each entry
    AddMonths = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Months", each List.Distinct(List.Transform({Number.From([StartDate])..Number.From([StopDate])}, each Date.StartOfMonth(Date.From(_))))),

// Expand that list
    #"Expanded Months" = Table.ExpandListColumn(AddMonths, "Months"),

// Add month-column
    AddMonthColumn = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Months", "Month", each Date.Month([Months])),

// Add Year-column
    AddYearColumn = Table.AddColumn(AddMonthColumn, "Year", each Date.Year([Months]))
in
    AddYearColumn

This gives you a table with one row per month and subscription. Just choose a count on the field in the values-section then.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CmdrKeene,

You can use below formula if it works on your side:

Active Customer=
var currDate=MAX(DateTable[Date])
return
COUNTAX(FILTER(ALL(BilingItems),AND(BilingItems[StartDate]<=currDate,BilingItems[StopDate]>currDate)&&BilingItems[BILING ITEM]="SUBSCRIBER"),BilingItems[Customer])

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a ton for these links, look so incredible I can't wait to dig in.  I haven't used PowerPivot much: PowerQuery has been enough to get/transform almost any data I've needed so far.

CmdrKeene

If you like, you can do this without a calendar-table and within the query-editor.

Either reference or transform your table like this:

let
    Source = BillingItems,

// Create a list of (first of) months for each entry
    AddMonths = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Months", each List.Distinct(List.Transform({Number.From([StartDate])..Number.From([StopDate])}, each Date.StartOfMonth(Date.From(_))))),

// Expand that list
    #"Expanded Months" = Table.ExpandListColumn(AddMonths, "Months"),

// Add month-column
    AddMonthColumn = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Months", "Month", each Date.Month([Months])),

// Add Year-column
    AddYearColumn = Table.AddColumn(AddMonthColumn, "Year", each Date.Year([Months]))
in
    AddYearColumn

This gives you a table with one row per month and subscription. Just choose a count on the field in the values-section then.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Xiaoxin Sheng - I'm not sure where I'd use your formula. Can you point me in the right direction for your option?

Steve Wheeler - Haven't tried yet but thanks for those great posts.

Imke Feldmann - I love your method of referencing my existing table and your code code is very awesome (and reproduced beauitufully).  I struggled for over an hour trying to read and understand it via email (without line breaks or indents in the code syntax!) I feel like a moron.  Now that I come to the site and read it, it makes sense.  The ExpandListColumn is a nifty trick indeed.

CmdrKeene

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors