Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jasonlosser
Helper I
Helper I

Group Level Security - can I change individuals to 'Read-Only'?

In migrating from PowerBI to PowerBI2.0, how can I allow people to 'read-only' on reports?    I'm testing the files that migrated over, and my test user set (who I added to a new 'Group') have full control privileges to 'write' to the files.   I definitely dont want that!

Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

the way to deploy "Read Only" content to your end users is via Organizational Content Packs.

here is a quick how to:

http://businessintelligist.com/2015/07/27/the-definitive-guide-on-collaboration-in-power-bi-tutorial...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

the way to deploy "Read Only" content to your end users is via Organizational Content Packs.

here is a quick how to:

http://businessintelligist.com/2015/07/27/the-definitive-guide-on-collaboration-in-power-bi-tutorial...

Andre,

Thanks - incredibly helpful!

One issue;   I followed all the instructions on creating a content pack all the way to the end, but I can only select a dataset to share --- for some reason, while my reports and dashboards are visible, i cannot 'check' these for sharing purposes.

Any thoughts?

I wonder if it has something to do with the type of a dataset that supports dashboards and reports.  i think i saw a similar behavior when i tried to make a content pack on top of another content pack.  I am sorry but I don't have a definitive answer right now as to why it's happening

Jason,
Depending on who is in a current O365 group, there could be different migration paths I'm thinking...

Power BI "Groups" are for collaborative efforts on building reports, dashboards, and sharing within a team. (ex: BI Team)
It sounds like what you want to do is just share the dashboard you created with end users. By doing this, you can specify the list of people you want to share the dashboard with, and the dashboard and reports will be visible, but not editable.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors